Once again, we find that Mother’s Day, May 13th is just around the corner. At First Congregational Church of Wauwatosa, 1511 Church Street (414-258-7375) (corner of Church St. and Menomonee River Pkwy), this day has come to be associated with special music in worship.
A couple of highlights included this year are a spirited African song for children’s voices and percussion entitled “O Sifuni Mungu.” Among the pieces to be presented by the adult Choir of First Church is a movement from a larger multi-movement piece entitled “The World Come of Age.” Written to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of World War II, this work is based on the writings, imprisonment, and martyrdom of German theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
And finally, the program concludes with a rarely heard folk hymn, “Bright Canaan” and a very energetic setting of the Afro-American spiritual “Ev’ry Time I Feel The Spirit,” arranged by William Dawson. Mr. Dawson served for many years as the conductor of the choir of the Tuskegee Institute in Alabama. As much as any one individual, Mr. Dawson nearly single handedly gave all of us in the United States the gift of the black spiritual, which has become such a significant part of our nation’s musical fabric.
Plan now to be at First Church on Sunday, May 13 at 10 AM to celebrate those closest to you -- your family. Join us in honoring all mothers and families. It will be a meaningful and joyous day of celebration.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- MCW-Green Bay receives $250,000 Impact Grant from the Green Bay Packers Foundation
- New Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. blog post – Pregnancy and Chiropractic
- C.A.R.I.N.G. Group Elmbrook Maintains Summer Momentum, Donating More Than $500 to Schools
- "In Your Eyes: The Animal/Human Connection"
- Enroll Now For Free Welding Training
- Dental Exam Often Overlooked as Part of Prenatal Care
- Polonia's Annual Festival
- Callen Construction Suggests Kitchen Upgrades for Easier Cooking and Cleaning
- Brighter Economic Prospects Brings Greater Focus on Cash Flow, Efficiency
- Join Milwaukee Art Museum and Kohl’s Art Generation’s Story Time This Weekend with Guest Author Susan Verde