Once again, we find that Mother’s Day, May 13th is just around the corner. At First Congregational Church of Wauwatosa, 1511 Church Street (414-258-7375) (corner of Church St. and Menomonee River Pkwy), this day has come to be associated with special music in worship.
A couple of highlights included this year are a spirited African song for children’s voices and percussion entitled “O Sifuni Mungu.” Among the pieces to be presented by the adult Choir of First Church is a movement from a larger multi-movement piece entitled “The World Come of Age.” Written to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of World War II, this work is based on the writings, imprisonment, and martyrdom of German theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
And finally, the program concludes with a rarely heard folk hymn, “Bright Canaan” and a very energetic setting of the Afro-American spiritual “Ev’ry Time I Feel The Spirit,” arranged by William Dawson. Mr. Dawson served for many years as the conductor of the choir of the Tuskegee Institute in Alabama. As much as any one individual, Mr. Dawson nearly single handedly gave all of us in the United States the gift of the black spiritual, which has become such a significant part of our nation’s musical fabric.
Plan now to be at First Church on Sunday, May 13 at 10 AM to celebrate those closest to you -- your family. Join us in honoring all mothers and families. It will be a meaningful and joyous day of celebration.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Player designs new logo for youth fastpitch league
- Summer School Program Comes Home to the Milwaukee Irish Fest Center
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents “Violence in the Workplace” workshop
- Ten Wisconsin High School Seniors Win BBB Foundation’s “Student of Integrity” Scholarship
- Early Registration for Walk, Run, Wag for MADACC Ends May 1
- Milwaukee/NARI Remodeling Professionals Recognized on National Level
- MCW researcher to investigate diabetic heart susceptibility to cardiac sensitivity
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Milwaukee/NARI Says April Showers Don’t Have to Bring Foundation Leaks
- Parade Applications Now Available