“Cantus Prius Factus… New Music from Old Tunes” is the theme for this year’s spring concert by the Milwaukee Choristers (www.milwaukeechoristers.org). Some selections from this wide-ranging program are likely to produce an “aha” moment, when an unrecognized title turns out to have a familiar melody.
The concert will be presented at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Apr. 20 and Saturday, Apr. 21, at Wisconsin Lutheran High School(330 N. Glenview Ave/84th St.).
Dr. James B. Kinchen, Jr., the Milwaukee Choristers’ conductor since 1993, has selected a wide variety of music in keeping with the Cantus Prius Factus theme. Included in the program are J.S. Bach’s Cantata No. 140: “Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme” (Sleepers, Awake!) and a medley from George Gershwin’s Porgy and Bess; plus stirring arrangements of works including “Danny Boy”, “Shenendoah”, “Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee” and a comedic version of “The Drunken Sailor” that is sure to leave listeners chuckling. If you’d like to see the entire program, it is posted at www.milwaukeechoristers.org.
The Choristers’ special guests will be the Wisconsin Lutheran High School A Cappella Choir, under the direction of Ned Goede. Their appearance is part of the Choristers’ “Back to Our Roots” program, which celebrates the community choir’s founding by a group of former Riverside High School choir alumni.
Tickets purchased in advance are $15 for adults, with discounted rates of $12 for seniors and $5 for students. At the door, the ticket prices will be $18, $15 and $6, respectively. All seating is general admission.
Tickets can be purchased via the chorus website, by calling (414)354-1933 or from any member of the chorus.
Concertgoers are encouraged to bring non-perishable food items to the performances. They will be collected and distributed to needy families in the Milwaukee area by Tosa Cares, an all-volunteer charitable organization.
The Milwaukee Choristers trace their beginning to 1933 and are one of the city’s oldest performing arts groups.
- Pulse of the City Presents Callen With 2016 Customer Satisfaction Award
- Alfons Gallery Brings Milwaukee’s Urban Wilderness into Focus
- Tribute Tuesday Concert Series Announced
- Wauwatosa Artist Featured at Racine Gallery
- MFHS Art at State Fair This Summer!
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club: May schedule
- Independent Business Association of Wisconsin (IBAW) to host “New Approaches to Sustainable Health Care Costs” at monthly breakfast meeting
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin, MCW and UWM to host Milwaukee Quick Pitch event
- Parenting Tip: Cleaning with Kids
- Charity car wash to raise money for Mental health