“Cantus Prius Factus… New Music from Old Tunes” is the theme for this year’s spring concert by the Milwaukee Choristers (www.milwaukeechoristers.org). Some selections from this wide-ranging program are likely to produce an “aha” moment, when an unrecognized title turns out to have a familiar melody.
The concert will be presented at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Apr. 20 and Saturday, Apr. 21, at Wisconsin Lutheran High School(330 N. Glenview Ave/84th St.).
Dr. James B. Kinchen, Jr., the Milwaukee Choristers’ conductor since 1993, has selected a wide variety of music in keeping with the Cantus Prius Factus theme. Included in the program are J.S. Bach’s Cantata No. 140: “Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme” (Sleepers, Awake!) and a medley from George Gershwin’s Porgy and Bess; plus stirring arrangements of works including “Danny Boy”, “Shenendoah”, “Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee” and a comedic version of “The Drunken Sailor” that is sure to leave listeners chuckling. If you’d like to see the entire program, it is posted at www.milwaukeechoristers.org.
The Choristers’ special guests will be the Wisconsin Lutheran High School A Cappella Choir, under the direction of Ned Goede. Their appearance is part of the Choristers’ “Back to Our Roots” program, which celebrates the community choir’s founding by a group of former Riverside High School choir alumni.
Tickets purchased in advance are $15 for adults, with discounted rates of $12 for seniors and $5 for students. At the door, the ticket prices will be $18, $15 and $6, respectively. All seating is general admission.
Tickets can be purchased via the chorus website, by calling (414)354-1933 or from any member of the chorus.
Concertgoers are encouraged to bring non-perishable food items to the performances. They will be collected and distributed to needy families in the Milwaukee area by Tosa Cares, an all-volunteer charitable organization.
The Milwaukee Choristers trace their beginning to 1933 and are one of the city’s oldest performing arts groups.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- FREE Elmbrook Memorial "Walk With A Wheaton Doc" – Saturday, April 26, 2014
- Children's Audition Notice for Milwaukee Rep's 2014/15 production THE COLOR PURPLE
- Stuff the Truck for Independence
- Spring Concert "Stars" featuring Julia Simpson
- Cudahy Home to be on Milwaukee/NARI Tour of Remodeled Homes
- Three Wauwatosa Homes to be Part of Annual Milwaukee/NARI Tour of Remodeled Homes
- United for Libraries to present Public Service Award to Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.)
- MCW to Host Diabetes Symposium
- What statement will people REALLY be making on Denim Day, April 23?
- CYP Waukesha Hosts “Conservative Media Night” Networking Event