On Thursday, March 1, PEARLS for Teen Girls, Inc. hosted “Women Inspired to Lead,” a special event highlighting Milwaukee women leaders. Five female leaders shared their personal stories about leadership experiences with more than 350 attendees and discussed how they were inspired to be a leader in the Milwaukee community.
The event’s panel featured Danae Davis, Chief Executive Officer of PEARLS for Teen Girls; Yvonne Brodsky, Manager of Diversity and Inclusion at Froedtert Health; Shaqueda Jenkins, PEARLS alumna and Benedict College junior; Kathy Mykleby, news anchor and journalist at WISN; and Diana Waterman, attorney and lobbyist. WISN news anchor Portia Young moderated the discussion.
“Most women don’t just find themselves in a leadership position, said Danae Davis, Chief Executive Officer of PEARLS for Teen Girls. “Rather, they were inspired to do great things. Every woman has a story and often that story can be the source of inspiration for others.”
The panelists, each in a different walk of life, spoke about a personal encounter with leadership, how that experience has influenced who they are today and how it continues to shape their life.
Women Inspired to Lead is the largest annual fundraiser for PEARLS. In 2011, 100 percent of active PEARLS senior girls graduated from high school and 100 percent of these girls were accepted to at least one college. Under Davis’s Leadership, PEARLS has grown from serving 120 girls annually to planning to serve over 1,100 girls in the Milwaukee area in 2012.
Click here to view and download photos from the event.
PEARLS for Teen Girls, Inc. is a dynamic and innovative non-profit leadership development organization serving at-risk, primarily African American and Latina girls, ages 10 to 19 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. PEARLS helps girls achieve in school, avoid teen pregnancy, and use their personal power to achieve their goals and dreams. PEARLS offers a totally distinct, custom curriculum that focuses on helping girls build leadership skills like self-reflection, critical thinking, sound decision making, goal setting, clear communication and personal accountability. For more information, please visit www.pearlsforteengirls.com. You can also find PEARLS on Facebook and Twitter.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Get up, get out, get active at free Day of Play event!
- MCW researchers call for evidence-based discussion on advantages and challenges of three-year medical school curriculum
- Wisonsin Panthers Basketball
- Dr. Zhenghao Wu, MD, Joins Columbia St. Mary’s Columbia West
- Tech Trends workshops continue on September 10, due to exceptional success
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce 58th Annual Meeting to be held on November 18, 2015
- ESPRIT POMS & DANCE TEAM Will Perform in DISNEY in 2016
- Wisconsin Residents Join LUNG FORCE Walk to End Lung Cancer
- New Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. blog post – Backpacks and School
- SMOKIN' ACES AND CIGARMKE PRESENT THE ROOF IS ON FIRE