On Thursday, March 1, PEARLS for Teen Girls, Inc. hosted “Women Inspired to Lead,” a special event highlighting Milwaukee women leaders. Five female leaders shared their personal stories about leadership experiences with more than 350 attendees and discussed how they were inspired to be a leader in the Milwaukee community.
The event’s panel featured Danae Davis, Chief Executive Officer of PEARLS for Teen Girls; Yvonne Brodsky, Manager of Diversity and Inclusion at Froedtert Health; Shaqueda Jenkins, PEARLS alumna and Benedict College junior; Kathy Mykleby, news anchor and journalist at WISN; and Diana Waterman, attorney and lobbyist. WISN news anchor Portia Young moderated the discussion.
“Most women don’t just find themselves in a leadership position, said Danae Davis, Chief Executive Officer of PEARLS for Teen Girls. “Rather, they were inspired to do great things. Every woman has a story and often that story can be the source of inspiration for others.”
The panelists, each in a different walk of life, spoke about a personal encounter with leadership, how that experience has influenced who they are today and how it continues to shape their life.
Women Inspired to Lead is the largest annual fundraiser for PEARLS. In 2011, 100 percent of active PEARLS senior girls graduated from high school and 100 percent of these girls were accepted to at least one college. Under Davis’s Leadership, PEARLS has grown from serving 120 girls annually to planning to serve over 1,100 girls in the Milwaukee area in 2012.
Click here to view and download photos from the event.
PEARLS for Teen Girls, Inc. is a dynamic and innovative non-profit leadership development organization serving at-risk, primarily African American and Latina girls, ages 10 to 19 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. PEARLS helps girls achieve in school, avoid teen pregnancy, and use their personal power to achieve their goals and dreams. PEARLS offers a totally distinct, custom curriculum that focuses on helping girls build leadership skills like self-reflection, critical thinking, sound decision making, goal setting, clear communication and personal accountability. For more information, please visit www.pearlsforteengirls.com. You can also find PEARLS on Facebook and Twitter.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- 4th Annual Cruisin’ the Grove Scheduled for Aug. 7
- MCW awarded $1.9 million to investigate disease prevention utilizing slime mold
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- September Fashion Show in Washington County
- Back to School...BBB Reminds You to Shop Smart!
- New Brookfield Nutrition Office Open August 1
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- Meijer to Sponsor Six Flags Great America Back-2-School Blast
- McKinley Lodge hosts "World Famous Fish Fry"