For 2 years more than 60 volunteers have been sewing camouflage quilts for deployed soldiers at Pilgrim Lutheran School. The project began in Plymouth, WI in 2006 when a mom was asked by her son-in-law to make a quilt he could use when deployed in Iraq. The project mushroomed when other deployed soldiers wanted quilts, also. Soon many in Plymouth were cutting, pinning and sewing quilts at a donated warehouse in Plymouth.
Pilgrim became the Milwaukee area site as Milwaukee volunteers wanted to help, but felt the trip to Plymouth was too far to go. There was unused space when Pilgrim school was closed and the building was vacant. In the fall of 2012 the school will reopen as a LUMINS Choice school and the CamoQuilt Project will need to find a new place to work.
Since the first quilt was made, over 15,000 quilts have been made by volunteers and are distributed, free of charge, to any deployed soldier serving in the Middle East. Last April the CQP was awarded $10,000 from the Make A Difference Foundation and written about in the April 10th issue of the USA Weekend. There are five locations in Wisconsin that hold regular workshops. Some quilt groups in other states have also helped with the project. More can be learned about the project by visiting camoquiltproject.blogspot.com.
Since all donations to the CQP are spent on purchasing the materials for the quilts and all labor is strictly volunteer, there are no funds to pay for rent or utilities at another site. The plea is going out for a new location that could be donated and used strictly as a desire to show our support and backing of the men and women who are willing to sacrifice for their country. Anyone with ideas of a place that might work is asked to contact Ruth at (414) 476-0472. Let's see what can be done to keep the sewing machines humming!
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wisonsin Panthers Basketball
- Dr. Zhenghao Wu, MD, Joins Columbia St. Mary’s Columbia West
- Tech Trends workshops continue on September 10, due to exceptional success
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce 58th Annual Meeting to be held on November 18, 2015
- ESPRIT POMS & DANCE TEAM Will Perform in DISNEY in 2016
- Wisconsin Residents Join LUNG FORCE Walk to End Lung Cancer
- New Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. blog post – Backpacks and School
- SMOKIN' ACES AND CIGARMKE PRESENT THE ROOF IS ON FIRE
- Wauwatosa Remodeler SJJanis Makes The Top 60 National Firms For Customer Satisfaction
- Jim Palzewicz brings EOS (Entrepreneurial Operating System) to Wisconsin