The public is invited to attend the 10th annual jazz worship service on Sunday, Feb. 19 at 9:45 a.m. at Wauwatosa Avenue United Methodist Church, 1529 Wauwatosa Ave.
This year’s service will feature a variety of music, including boogie-woogie, Christian rock, Chicago blues, cool jazz, big band swing and Latin swing presented by several ensembles. Musicians include WAUMC members and friends.
The Troubadour Choir, made up of youngsters in second through sixth grade, will share "Sing, Sing, Sing".
Men of the Agape Praise Team, under the direction of Tim Karth, will present a version of "Amazing Grace" inspired by the Blind Boys of Alabama.
An instrumental combo will share selections from the "Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano Trio" by Claude Bolling, featuring Joelle Karth on flute and Mark Mrozek on piano.
Favorite hymns have been rearranged with a little jazz twist and a few other surprises.
“All are welcome to come and enjoy this spiritual, musical time in advance of Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent,” WAUMC Pastor Sue Burwell said. “We may just have to rename it ‘Not-Just-Jazz’ Sunday."
Child care is provided in the church nursery for infants through 3-year-olds.
Parking is available behind the church off of Underwood Avenue in either the ramp or surface lot. Enter the building through the southwest door (red roof) off of the surface lot or the northwest door off the ramp’s upper level.
Wauwatosa Avenue United Methodist Church dates back to 1848 and began with 42-members. Today, the congregation is 500 strong and firmly committed to inclusiveness, celebrating a diversity of people, ideas and cultures.
WAUMC offers two Sunday services, Christian education classes for individuals ages 3 through adult, a variety of adult and youth music programs and Girl Scout and Boy Scout troops. The congregation is involved with more than a dozen local, national and international mission outreach efforts.
For more information, call 414-453-0700 or visit www.waumc.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wisconsin Residents Join LUNG FORCE Walk to End Lung Cancer
- New Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. blog post – Backpacks and School
- SMOKIN' ACES AND CIGARMKE PRESENT THE ROOF IS ON FIRE
- Wauwatosa Remodeler SJJanis Makes The Top 60 National Firms For Customer Satisfaction
- Jim Palzewicz brings EOS (Entrepreneurial Operating System) to Wisconsin
- Unity World Day of Prayer Observances
- Milwaukee/NARI Foundation Announces Academic Scholarship Availability
- Howard Village Hosts Fall Open House
- Hart Park Square celebrates 10th Anniversary
- Milwaukee Backgammon Meetup