After a rigorous review that examined safety, surgical outcomes, quality of care and overall performance, Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin Bariatric Surgery Program has received the bariatric surgery “Center of Excellence” designation from the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
The designation marks the program’s third three-year accreditation since 2005. The Center of Excellence title highlights hospitals and bariatric surgery centers that meet specific performance standards and show consistently positive surgical results for patients.
“Weight loss surgery is complex and challenging but often it’s the only effective therapy for patients with morbid obesity and its complications,” said program director James R. Wallace, MD, PhD, professor of surgery at the Medical College of Wisconsin. “However, safe weight loss through surgery also requires a strong commitment from the patient and the team of medical experts providing care.”
More than 1,500 patients have undergone weight loss surgery through Froedtert & The Medical College Bariatric Surgery program. Several laparoscopic surgical techniques are now available, enabling surgeons to customize the surgery to the patient.
Independent studies have found that bariatric surgery is a highly effective treatment for Type 2 diabetes in obese people, and that the cost of the surgery is typically offset within two to four years by savings in medical costs.
The Bariatric Surgery Program is part of Froedtert & The Medical College Comprehensive Weight Loss Center.
Froedtert & The Medical College combine the strengths of Froedtert Hospital and the Medical College of Wisconsin in an academic medical center that delivers advanced medical care. Froedtert & The Medical College are nationally recognized for exceptional physicians, research leadership, specialty expertise and state-of-the-science treatments and technology.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Summer School Program Comes Home to the Milwaukee Irish Fest Center
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents “Violence in the Workplace” workshop
- Ten Wisconsin High School Seniors Win BBB Foundation’s “Student of Integrity” Scholarship
- Early Registration for Walk, Run, Wag for MADACC Ends May 1
- Milwaukee/NARI Remodeling Professionals Recognized on National Level
- MCW researcher to investigate diabetic heart susceptibility to cardiac sensitivity
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Milwaukee/NARI Says April Showers Don’t Have to Bring Foundation Leaks
- Parade Applications Now Available
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents former Navy SEAL, Jeff Boss, leadership coach specializing in adaptability