The residents of the Luther Manor senior living community in Wauwatosa are kicking off the holiday season with a craft sale on Friday, Nov. 4.
From the clay-carrot noses of fence-post snowmen to the white trim windows of a freshly painted doll house, each of the treasures at the annual Holiday Bazaar was touched by the creative hand of a Luther Manor resident.
“Everybody has their own talent,” said Grace Bott, a resident of the Terrace apartments, independent housing at Luther Manor. Bott painted ceramic Christmas decoration and a wooden angel for the bazaar.
Residents like Bott, a craft fair contributor for 14 years, have been meeting twice a week for the past year to work on their creations. The end result is an array of hand-made, stocking stuffers. Shoppers will find an assortment of original scarves, jewelry, quilts and ornaments; bean soup mix and fire starters; and even homemade dog biscuits.
Although most of the crafts at the Holiday Bazaar come from Luther Manor, there are a few exceptions. A Minneapolis woman whose mother once called Luther Manor home donates handmade scarves for the event.
“That’s her contribution to Luther Manor,” Nancy Kriske, who works in Terrace Life Enrichment. “It just shows Luther Manor’s mission goes places you don’t even realize.”
All proceeds from the sale benefit Luther Manor programs and services.
The Holiday Bazaar will take place from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Friday, Nov. 4, in the Lippold Faith and Education Center at Luther Manor, located at 4545 N. 92nd St. in Wauwatosa.
An accredited Continuing Care Retirement Community, Luther Manor has been caring and advocating for seniors for more than 50 years. In addition to independent housing, assisted living and long-term care options, Luther Manor offers rehabilitation, adult day and supportive services, hospice care and community outreach programs.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Public welcome to WAUMC's 'The Winter Rose' Christmas cantata
- Department of Defense to fund $5.5 million concussion study
- Advanced Ear, Nose, & Throat Specialists Named Small Business of the Year
- The Torah: A Workshop for Christians
- 10th Annual Tree of Angels celebrates loved ones
- Foti Chiropractic Fulfills Dream of Second Make-A-Wish Recipient in 2014
- Milwaukee Regional Medical Center's New VP of Finance
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council Announces 2015 Officers and Directors
- Local Financial Advisor Hosts Dec. 16 Seminar on Investment Outlook for 2015