The Hank Raymonds Family Scholarship has been established in the late Raymonds’ honor to provide financial assistance to Milwaukee area students interested in attending Pius XI High School but lacking the financial means. Raymonds’ family has generously pledged the first $125,000 to the scholarship fund, giving many bright students the opportunity to receive an education unlike any other.
Raymonds, former Marquette University basketball coach, was extremely involved with Pius basketball, and the high school always held a special place in his heart. Future scholarships will be awarded to students based on their academics, character and community service.
“It is a privilege for our family to set up and donate to this scholarship fund in Hank’s honor. He loved Pius High School and knew that investing in educations at Pius could change so many children’s lives for the better,” explains his daughter, Linda Raymonds. “We hope that the community shares my Dad’s passion for learning and also will contribute to this scholarship fund.”
Raymonds was a longtime Wauwatosa resident and the fourth-winningest coach at Marquette, with 126 compiled as the men’s head basketball coach from 1977 to 1983. Raymonds adeptly assisted Al McGuire during the team’s NCAA championship run in the 1970s. In addition to his many years of coaching, Raymonds was also the university’s athletic director, responsible for elevating the women’s sports programs at Marquette University to Division I in 1985, and also a frequent spectator at women’s soccer, volleyball and basketball games. He passed away last December and is survived by his wife, Jinny, five children and 14 grandchildren.
His legacy lives on at Pius, where the Hank Raymonds Court will be dedicated in his honor on the evening of December 2, 2011, at a girls’ home game versus local rival Divine Savior Holy Angels. Plus, the first annual Hank Raymonds Memorial Tournament will be hosted by Pius in November 2012, where boys’ and girls’ basketball teams from around the area will be invited to play.
To donate to or learn more about the Hank Raymonds Family Scholarship or for more information about Pius XI High School, visit www.piusxi.org or call Pete Yaeger at 414-290-0213.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Milwaukee/NARI Announces 2013 “Best of Tour” Award Winner
- Family medicine specialist David Goldstein joins Medical College of Wisconsin faculty
- Corporate Technology Solutions Hires Germino
- Obstetrician and Gynecologist Julian De Lia joins Medical College of Wisconsin faculty, Froedtert Hospital and Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin staff
- Make Father’s Day Smoke-Free (An Uphill Battle)
- Safe Sitter Babysitting Classes Offered at Wheaton Franciscan - Elmbrook Memorial
- FREE Elmbrook Memorial "Walk With A Wheaton Doc" - Saturday, June 22, 2013
- Attorney Robert L. Habush Honored with Lifetime Achievement Award
- Mequon Mother and Daughter Duo to Appear in One Act Play Festival
- Bobby Way Trio to perform at free Summer Concert series