Parents and students of the Wauwatosa West Marching band were not told by the admininstration or district that their band director Richard Smith was not going to be at Tosa West next year. Instead they found out by looking at the district web site and finding out that his job position was posted.
Students and parents are confused and concerned to say the least on why they were not told and more importantly why is his contract not being renewed? Mr. Smith is well liked and respected by his band students and his accomplishments speak for themselves.
Most recently the Tosa West Band had record number of WSMA participants and the Jazz group took 1st at State for the first time in 50 years. He also has been a vital part in recruiting new band students at Whitman .
So what happened? Like the basketball coaches at West who also will not be back next year it appears that the same reason for non renewal of his contract is parents. There appears to be a group of parents who have banded together and gone to the district and admininstration at the school to discredit Mr. Smith. Although the group may be small in numbers it appears they have some inside assistance at the district to help them out.
Parents who have gone to the district for an explanation have received nothing. Students are looking for answers and have received nothing. As a result students are banning together to make a statement. Will they march in the 4th of July parade? Will they continue next year in the band program? That remains to be seen. Many have already said they are quitting. So what is the big secret? Don't the people who pay taxes for our schools have a right to know?
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- St. Jude the Apostle Kindergartners Gift of Warmth Keeps Giving
- Virtual School Students Meet Classmates at Discovery World Field Trip
- Wauwatosa residents win grants through Northwestern Mutual Days of Sharing program
- Not a Good Idea to Bike?
- KNAPP CHIROPRACTIC AND WELLNESS CENTER, INC. PATIENTS GIVE OUTSTANDING TESTIMONIALS
- Milwaukee/NARI Recognizes Six Industry Advocates
- Dr. Melinda Stolley named MCW Cancer Center associate director
- WAUWATOSA DISTINGUISHED CITIZEN 2014: CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
- “Battle of the Bays” Getaway winner announced by BloodCenter of WI
- Celebrate the Christmas Season with Trinity United Church of Christ