Take a Cue on Cancer from Actor Michael Douglas
Free screening at Froedtert & Medical College Cancer Center in Wauwatosa
Wauwatosa, WI (April 26, 2011) – When actor Michael Douglas was diagnosed with Stage IV throat cancer last year, the news made headlines. Uncommon but serious, cancers of the head and neck can strike anyone and can take away things most people take for granted, like speech, eating, and appearance. According to the American Cancer Society, this type of cancer affects more than 50,000 people nationwide every year.
To spread awareness of the disease and encourage people to get screened, Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin will provide free screenings on Wednesday, May 11, from 4-6 pm at the Clinical Cancer Center. Registration is required; call (414) 805-3666.
“A 10-minute, painless screening could save your life,” said Bruce Campbell, MD, head and neck cancer specialist at Froedtert & The Medical College Clinical Cancer Center. “These cancers often don’t have obvious symptoms in their early stages, so that’s why screening is so important. As with most cancers, early detection is key to beating the disease.”
Head and neck cancer includes cancers of the mouth, tongue, throat, neck, vocal cords, sinuses, tonsils and salivary glands. The cancer is highly curable if found early.
“Unexplained changes such as a lump or bump in the tongue, neck or lip, or changes in swallowing, speech or breathing can be signs of cancer,” Dr. Campbell said. “Anyone, young or old, smoker or non-smoker, can get this disease.”
As for Michael Douglas, the actor has become an advocate for early detection and diagnosis. “The screening is quick, painless and free, so I am encouraging everyone to take advantage of this opportunity that could save your life,” Douglas said. “Do it for your family.” Since he has completed treatment, Douglas gets monthly check-ups because chances of tumor recurrence are highest within the first two years.
The Froedtert & Medical College Clinical Cancer Center is located immediately south of the Froedtert East Clinics, on Doyne Avenue between N. 87th and N. 92nd Streets. Free parking is available in the Clinical Cancer Center parking structure.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Storytimes at Yo Mama! Frozen Yogurt and Goodies
- Win at the Wisconsin State Fair with a #SnapdragonSelfie!
- Refashion for Life Charity Fashion Show to Feature Clothing, Home Improvement Products
- 24th Annual Milwaukee/NARI Fall Home & Remodeling Show Scheduled
- High Honors Earned At Wisconsin State Fair
- Attorney Sarah A. Ponath Opens New General Practice Law Office in Butler
- Friends of Hart Park to Host Family Film Night
- Rock For Locks Benefit / Morgan's Ride For Alopecia
- Soothe your soul in Door County, WI - Blissfull yoga retreat with Soul On Yoga
- Spinal cord injury: what determines recovery?