Money contributed by more than 400 donors has created a peaceful oasis on the Froedtert Hospital campus in Wauwatosa. A distinctive 20,000-square-foot garden plaza wreathed in trees, grasses and shrubs and accented with a pergola, benches, walking paths and a waterwall now graces the entrance to East Clinics building.
Wauwatosa mayor Jill Didier and alderwoman Linda Nikcevich were among the more than 150 people who attended a dedication ceremony on October 19 that included a “vine-cutting” to mark the official opening of the Mortenson Construction Healing Plaza. Breast cancer survivor Elaine Rettig joined other officials, donors, former patients, staff and volunteers from Froedtert Hospital for the event.
“We are deeply grateful to the many patients, families, staff members and others whose generosity made this project possible,” said William D. Petasnick, president and chief executive officer of Froedtert Hospital. “The calming effect of nature has a therapeutic value all its own, and we hope people will find the Healing Plaza a comforting, restorative sanctuary.”
Entirely funded by contributions to the Froedtert Hospital Foundation and named for a major donor, the Mortenson Construction Healing Plaza is open to patients, visitors and staff.
Froedtert Hospital is a 500-bed academic medical center staffed by faculty of the Medical College of Wisconsin. It serves as an eastern Wisconsin referral center for advanced medical practice care in 37 specialties and subspecialties. It is a major training and research facility with more than 1,000 medical, nursing and health technical students in training and hundreds of active clinical trials each year. A member of Froedtert Health, Froedtert Hospital operates the region’s only adult Level I Trauma Center. For more information, visit froedtert.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Kiwanis Club of Wauwatosa Public Welcome
- Milwaukee/NARI Announces 2013 “Best of Tour” Award Winner
- Family medicine specialist David Goldstein joins Medical College of Wisconsin faculty
- Corporate Technology Solutions Hires Germino
- Obstetrician and Gynecologist Julian De Lia joins Medical College of Wisconsin faculty, Froedtert Hospital and Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin staff
- Make Father’s Day Smoke-Free (An Uphill Battle)
- Safe Sitter Babysitting Classes Offered at Wheaton Franciscan - Elmbrook Memorial
- FREE Elmbrook Memorial "Walk With A Wheaton Doc" - Saturday, June 22, 2013
- Attorney Robert L. Habush Honored with Lifetime Achievement Award
- Mequon Mother and Daughter Duo to Appear in One Act Play Festival