On October 22, 23 & 24, Milwaukee's Florentine Opera will present the city's first-ever grand opera world premiere at the Marucs Center for the Performing Arts: Don Davis's powerful Rio de Sangre. This Saturday, a FREE Rio de Sangre Opera Insights program will be presented at the Wauwatosa Public Library, offering audience and community members a glimpse at the upcoming production and live performances of selections from the work.
These audience-friendly previews include remarks by Corliss Phillabaum, Professor Emeritus of Theatre at UW-Milwaukee, who offers his engaging perspectives as the artists of the Florentine Opera Studio, Erica Schuller (soprano), Julia Hardin (mezzo soprano), Matthew Richardson (tenor), Scott Johnson (baritone) and Anne Van Deusen (accompanist) perform.
Rio de Sangre is the story of Delacruz, a newly-appointed leader in a fictional Latin American country driven mad by dictatorship, natural disaster and political upheaval. The work was created by Emmy Award-winning composer Don Davis (best known for film and television scores including The Matix triology and Jurassic Park III) and renowned Los Angeles poet Kate Gale. The opera is sung in Spanish with translations broadcast above the stage at every performance, as an internationally acclaimed cast of singers and the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra bring the work to life.
To learn more, visit the Florentine Opera Company online at www.florentineopera.org or call 414-291-5700.
Saturday, September 25 at 12:30 pm
Wauwatosa Civic Center-Wauwatosa Public Library (Firefly Lounge)
7635 W. North Avenue
Wauwatosa, WI 53213
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- All animal lovers welcome to WAUMC's blessing of the pets
- Drug discovery and genetic engineering: Science Café series scheduled
- Learn Your Working Style, Rule Your Universe
- Learning Never Ends...An Evening for Adults
- Researchers discover new gene responsible for traits involved in diabetes
- Locally Owned MOZZALUNA PIZZERIA & RISTORANTE is doing a Free Pizza Give Away on 9/25/14
- Treating post-traumatic stress disorder
- Operation Forward March to Benefit Wounded Warrior Project
- Callen Debuts Updated Website
- Nain Lutheran Church Celebrates 100th Anniversary