A 40-year-old man faces criminal charges after he allegedly led police on a high-speed chase that began in Wauwatosa and ended in Milwaukee, where he crashed his stolen vehicle into a street sign and fled on foot before he was arrested.

Lucas William Byrd of Milwaukee has been charged with eluding an officer, second degree recklessly endangering safety, operating a vehicle without the owner's consent, obstructing an officer and operating a vehicle with a revoked license.

About the incident 

According to the criminal complaint, a Wauwatosa police officer was patrolling the area between North Mayfair Road and North 100th Street, just south of West Hampton Avenue, around 3:20 p.m. Aug. 17 when he noticed a blue Chevrolet Lumina traveling toward him. The officer noticed the driver deliberately looked away from him in what appeared to be an attempt to shield his face, according to the complaint.

The officer crossed paths with the Lumina again and, for the second time, the driver appeared to intentionally look away from the cop, according to the complaint. The officer conducted a records check on the vehicle's license plate and discovered the Lumina was reported stolen with the Milwaukee Police Department Aug. 12.

The officer activated his squad's emergency lights and siren in an attempt to stop the vehicle. The driver gestured as if he was going to pull over, but instead of stopping, the Lumina rolled through a stop sign, quickly accelerated and began to flee southeast on West Appleton Avenue from West Silver Spring Drive at around 80 mph.

The Lumina traveled at high speeds — up to 97 mph — and at one point ran a red light. The vehicle attempted to make a turn at 110th Street, but was traveling too fast, according to the complaint. The vehicle drove over the curb and onto the lawn of the property located at the corner. The Lumina then entered a parking lot and instead of re-entering the roadway, it drove onto the sidewalk, traveling between 45 and 50 miles per hour.

The driver lost control of the vehicle, fishtailed and crashed into a street sign. The driver exited the vehicle and ran southbound, jumping over a fence. The driver, Byrd, was later apprehended and taken into custody.

The Lumina belonged to Byrd's son, according to the complaint.

In a statement to authorities, Byrd said he "didn't have much to say, thought it was about something else, and stated that he was going to go to prison anyway," according to the complaint. At the time of the incident, Byrd was on probation and had an active warrant for his arrest through the Department of Corrections.

Byrd is scheduled to have a preliminary hearing Sept. 1, according to court records.

In 2012, Byrd was convicted of second-degree recklessly endangering safety, a felony offense.

Read or Share this story: