November 8, 2016 - General Election Day in Wisconsin - Polls open 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
If you are eligible to vote in Wisconsin, but do not have a Wisconsin identification card of Wisconsin driver’s license, you are eligible to receive a free state ID for voting purposes. You will need to check a box on the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) application to indicate that you need the ID for voting purposes.
Documents needed to obtain an ID. You need to present the following types of documentation to the DMV:
• Proof of name and date of birth (certified US birth certificate, or valid passport, or certificate of naturalization)
• Proof of identity (Social Security card, or military papers, or marriage papers)
• Proof of Wisconsin residency (utility bill, or pay stub, or mortgage)
• Proof of US citizenship
• Social Security number
DMV Locations: 2701 S. Chase Avenue, Milwaukee; 819 N. Sixth Street, Room 190, Milwaukee; 6073 N. Teutonia Avenue, Milwaukee; 7301 W. Mill Road, Milwaukee; 1835 College Avenue, South Milwaukee; 5500 W. Grange Avenue, Greendale.
Wauwatosa has 14 voting locations; your voting location is assigned based upon your Wauwatosa street address. The polls are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
To determine your correct voting location, you can check the State of Wisconsin's My Vote website; you may also contact the city clerk's office at 414-479-8921, Email the city clerk's office, or view district/ward map.
- You must be a citizen of the United States
- You must be a resident of Wauwatosa who has resided at the address you are registering from for at least 10 consecutive days prior to an election
- You must be at least 18 years of age on Election Day
How to Register
- All persons registering to vote are required to provide proof of residence showing current name and current Wauwatosa address
- Register at the city clerk’s office Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 pm; the office is open until 5:00 p.m. the Friday before an election (there is no in-person registration at the clerk's office the day before an election)
- Register at the Wauwatosa Library in the evening and on weekends up to 20 days prior to an election
- Register by mail up to 20 days prior to an election
- Register at the polls on Election Day.
- Download the registration form (EL-131) from the Wisconsin Election Commission website
- Visit the State's MyVote website, https://myvote.wi.gov/, where you can fill out a registration form online; simply print it, sign it, and return it to the city clerk's office.
- Electors are not required to register prior to each election. You only need to register if you have moved since the last election and have not registered from your new address, or have changed your name since the last election.
Acceptable Proof of Residence
- Current and valid Wisconsin driver’s license or Wisconsin identification card
- Current utility bill for a period not earlier than 90 days before an election (electronic copy is acceptable)
- Other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit
- Current bank statement (electronic copy is acceptable)
- Current government check or payroll check
- Other official government document
- Real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election
- Residential lease which is effective for a period that includes Election Day (not for first-time voters registering by mail)
- A college, university or technical college identification card (with photo) and a fee receipt dated within the last 9 months
- Affidavit on public or private social service agency letterhead identifying a homeless voter and describing the individual's residence for voting purposes