Perhaps Wauwatosa West girls track and field coach Jack LoPresti summed up his team's performance at Saturday's Chris Wilson Invitational at Milwaukee Lutheran High School the best.
"We had a great meet," LoPresti said. "It's a good way to start the season."
What made LoPresti smile was his team's 22-point victory in the seven-team invitational, as the Trojans scored 117 points to Port Washington's 95 to coast to the victory.
And the Trojans had plenty to be happy about.
Hurdle's coach Mike Fischer was especially pleased with the efforts of Colleen Seefeldt and Leyna Zeimet.
"Colleen and Leyna really got one over on the competition," he said. "A great start to what looks like a promising season."
LoPresti agreed with his assessment.
"'Fish' is right. It was a good start, the kind of confidence builder that we hope translates into results down the road in May and June," LoPresti said.
Seefeldt won the 55-meter hurdles in 10.14 seconds and Zeimet was right behind her in third place with a time of 10.78.
Another win was the 4-lap relay behind the efforts of Sheria Brown, Elise Ditscheit, Grace Gabriel and Shannon Wilson (1 minute, 32.84 seconds) and Brigid Jensen in the 800-meter run (2:33.99).
The Trojans had four second-place finishes, three individuals and one relay.
Casey Grabow was second in the 800 (2:37.66), Jordan Schnell in the 400 (1:08.47) and Shannon Wilson in the long jump (15-feet, 7¼).
The 4x800 relay of Grabow, Gabriel, Haley Barta and Jensen (11:09.15) also finished second.
Tosa West added three third-place finishes and a fourth-place to top off the day.
Wilson was in the 55 dash (8.04), Barta in the 3,200-meter run (13:54.15), Zaina Lalk in the shot put (33-feet, 3½ inches) and Wilson in the high jump (4-feet, 6 inches).
Laura Carlson was fourth in the 3,200 (14:26.90).
CHRIS WILSON INVITE
Girl's Team Rankings
Saturday, Milwaukee Lutheran
1) Wauwatosa West (117)
2) Port Washington (95)
3) Milwaukee Lutheran (71.50)
4) Union Grove (49.50)
5) St. Thomas More (49)
6) Oconomowoc (47.50)
7) Waukesha North (38.50)
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West loses pitchers' duel to Pius in regional semifinal
- Where did the summer go?
- Sports Notes: July 23, 2015
- Pewaukee's fast start ends Wauwatosa East baseball team's season
- Wauwatosa West wins 2 of 3 in Woodland Conference Round Robin
- Wauwatosa West baseball team beats Nicolet in season finale
- Wauwatosa East's Vitrano steps down after 17 years as athletic director
- Wauwatosa East baseball team rallies for naught in GMC tournament
- Wauwatosa West comes into week with 4-game loss streak
- Wauwatosa East's Schmanski earns Now All-Suburban softball honors