West boys relays have impressive day
Trojans finish second at Chris Wilson Invitational
The Wauwatosa West boys got the season off to a good start, taking second in the Chris Wilson Invitational on Saturday at Milwaukee Lutheran.
The Trojans scored 92 points, well ahead of third-place Oconomowoc (81.33), but well behind first-place Brookfield Central (126.33).
"I was very pleased with what we did," Tosa West coach Scott Jordan said. "I was most pleased with our 4-by-800-meter relay. They started off the meet for us with 10 points. I can't remember the last time we had a competitive 4-by-800."
Taylor Floyd-Mews, Walker Haanstad, Patrick Campbell and Kevin Dettlaff led the way with a time of 8 minutes, 52.55 seconds.
The 4-by-160 relay of Reggie Cole, Jimmy Reynolds, Develyn Ferguson and Collin Joseph took first in 1:19.20, bringing a smile to Jordan's face.
"The 4-by-160 relay looked very strong," he said. "They just crushed that relay and won by almost three seconds."
Campbell has picked up where he left off last spring and in fall with cross country. He won the 800 (2:07.68) and also anchored the 4-by-400, which took second (3:53.95).
"He is becoming a nice weapon," Jordan said.
Reynolds also had a good day, winning the long jump with a leap of 20 feet, 5 inches. He also ran on the runner-up 4-by-400 relay with Campbell, Kenny Spence and Floyd-Mews.
"He has really started to show how big of a part he will play this season," Jordan said. "I can't remember taking second at that meet in recent history."
Cole was also a big winner, taking first in the 55 dash (6.95). Joseph won the 200 (24.82).
Brion Felix was second in the shot put (47 feet, 11 inches) and Nolan Kresnak was fourth in high jump (5-8) and Demaris Purifoy took fourth in the 200 (25.76).
Ronald Brown was fifth in the shot put (43-8) and Floyd-Mews was seventh in the 800 (2:14.08).
CHRIS WILSON INVITE
Saturday, Milwaukee Lutheran
1) Brookfield Central (126.33)
2) Wauwatosa West (92)
3) Oconomowoc (81.33)
4) Port Washington (68.50)
5) Union Grove (47)
6) Waukesha North (36)
7) Milwaukee Lutheran (22.50)
8) St. Thomas More (17.33)
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team defeats Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Marquette gets revenge with 75-55 victory over Wauwatosa East boys
- Wauwatosa East's Stewart, Green combine for 49 points in win over Brookfield Central
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball team loses road games to Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes finish second at Bob White Swimming Invitational
- Wauwatosa Tosa girls basketball team drops tough decisions to Lancers, Chargers
- Pewaukee whips Wauwatosa wrestlers to take first in conference
- Wauwatosa West finally defeats Tosa East, 60-56
- Wauwatosa wrestlers beat South Milwaukee, take third in Janssen Invite
- Bailey Berlin's free throws give Wauwatosa East win over Tosa West