It was a good week for the Wauwatosa West girls tennis team, as the Trojans won a Woodland Conference match and went 2-1 in Saturday's Trojan/Raider Invitational.
Coach Kosta Zervas' squad opened the week with a 4-3 victory over New Berlin Eisenhower at home.
The Trojans won three singles and one doubles match.
Erin Billstrom/Alicia Picard won at No. 2 doubles (6-2, 3-6, 6-2).
Singles winners were Nicole Meylor at No. 1 singles (6-2, 6-7 (7), 7-5), Carly Grant at No. 2 singles (6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-2) and Larua Carlson at No. 3 (6-4, 6-3).
"I was very happy with our hard-fought win," Zervas said. "It was a nice way to begin our conference schedule. We had a great week of practice leading up this dual match and I think the girls showed a lot of confidence in their play.
"We won the close points and that was the difference in the match. I was especially happy with our singles lineup. They all played awesome tennis. We needed them to step up and play well to win the dual. They carried our lineup today."
On Saturday the Trojans went 2-1 at the Trojan/Raider Invite, losing to Kenosha St. Joe's (4-3) and beating Green Bay Preble (5-2) and Pius XI (5-2).
The winners in the loss to St Joe's were Meylor (6-3, 6-3), Carly Grant (6-1, 6-3) and Carlson (3-6, 6-1, 10-4).
In the win over Preble winners were Meylor (6-0, 6-1), Grant (6-2, 6-3), Carlson (6-4, 7-6), Leah Rogers at No. 4 singles (6-3, 4-6, 10-8) and Billstrom/Picard (6-4, 6-3).
In the victory over Pius XI, singles winners were Meylor (2-0, 2-0 default), Grant (6-1, 6-2) and Carlson (6-1, 6-2). Billstrom/Picard (6-1, 7-6 (5)) and Lauren Rachow/Juliana Olukoton (6-1,7-6 (5)) won doubles matches.
"Overall, I was pleased with our team performance," Zervas said. "I was hoping for a better result against St. Joe's, but we made too many errors at crucial times in the match."
Zervas then talked about his team's mind-set.
"We talk about having confidence in your abilities, we're beginning to see it, but it's we're quite there yet," he said. "Our doubles teams are showing better play and strategy. To get two wins was important for our confidence."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West girls win 6 events at Wilson Invite
- Wauwatosa East girls post four wins at Bay triangular
- Wauwatosa wrestlers had an outstanding season
- Coach pleased with first two outings of Wauwatosa East boys track and field team
- Father follows son down the road to Brown Deer hoops success
- Meredith Starnes, Natalie Yahn to lead Wauwatosa East softball team
- Dale excited about Wauwatosa East girls soccer team
- Wauwatosa West girls soccer fundraiser set for March 27
- Wauwatosa West boys 7th at Wisconsin Lutheran Invite
- Wauwatosa West girls finish 7th at Outfitters Invite