The 65th annual Recreation Department Alumni Basketball Tournament came to a close with two games Friday at Wauwatosa West High School.
The Greenwill Division featured teams from 1973 through 1998 and the championship was a matchup between 1997-98 Wauwatosa East and 1996-97 Wauwatosa West, with the latter winning a thriller, 67-66.
The title is West's fifth Alumni Tournament championship since 1999. Brendan Scholz led them with 34 points. Other members of the team were Dan Plankers, Chris Roepe, Adam Dwyer, Matt Luzar, Ryan Fiet and Dan Jorgensen.
The Cartier Division showcased teams from 1999 through 2012. The championship matchup was between 2008-09 Tosa East and 2008-09 Tosa West, with Tosa East winning another nail-biter, 62-60. This is 2008-09 Tosa East's first championship.
Leading scorer for the winners was Eric Williams with 15 points. Other members of the team were Daniel Cupertino, Brice Powell, Keondre Gholston, Fraizier Reiland, Tony Walls, Vinny Ingrilli, Eric Neal, Michael Cupertino and Relyea Speller.
The '08-09 West team beat '02 East, 53-44, in the semifinals. Other winners were the '97-98 East team over the '81-82 East team, 66-47.
The '96-97 West team beat the '82 West team, 77-46, and the '08-09 East team beat the '05 team, 73-52.
The tournament brackets and past champions can be viewed on its website http://www.wauwatosa.k12.wi.us/tosarec/alumni_bb.cfm
- Steve Birney Program coordinator
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Central boys beat Red Raiders, 52-41
- Boys basketball: Tosa East makes most of final opportunity
- Bailey Berlin's free throw sparks win for Wauwatosa East girls basketball
- Wauwatosa East boys stay undefeated, down Falls
- Wrestlers blank co-op trio, 79-0
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team beats Packers for first win
- Trojan girls basketball team beats Brown Deer, loses to Cudahy
- Wauwatosa wins two events, takes seven seconds, three thirds
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball wins Woodland opener
- Wauwatosa East girls bounce back to beat Eagles, 70-27