Wauwatosa East squares off with Kettle Moraine in WIAA boys state volleyball quarterfinals
Wauwatosa East (30-6) will square off against the Kettle Moraine Lasers at 7:45 p.m. Friday in the Red Raiders' first match in the WIAA boys state volleyball championships at Wisconsin Lutheran College.
The Lasers finished second in the Classic 8 Conference with a 5-2 record, but they finished fourth in the conference tournament.
Their overall mark is 19-9 including the playoffs, as they swept both sectional opponents, Beloit Memorial and Middleton. The Lasers are at state for the third time and for the first time since the second of back-to-back appearances in 2008-09.
The Lasers are led in kills by 6-foot-7 inch senior Adam Martell, who has 119 kills, 33 blocks and 24 digs. Senior Sean Leahy, also 6-7, has 42 blocks and 58 kills.
Michael Orgas leads the team with 224 assists and senior Ben Mayer's 35 digs led the team.
If the third-seeded Red Raiders win, they face the winner of the Burlington (23-3)/Catholic Memorial (27-9) matchup at noon Saturday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West's inexperience affects season in close losses
- Six Wauwatosa East baseball players earn GMC honors on some level
- Land O'Lakes game brings back good memories
- Jr. Trojans set baseball tryouts for U9-U14 teams
- Wauwatosa West loses pitchers' duel to Pius in regional semifinal
- Where did the summer go?
- Sports Notes: July 23, 2015
- Pewaukee's fast start ends Wauwatosa East baseball team's season
- Wauwatosa West wins 2 of 3 in Woodland Conference Round Robin
- Wauwatosa West baseball team beats Nicolet in season finale