Wauwatosa East boys have a complete-game effort against Hale
Red Raiders coach happy with team's consistency
The Wauwatosa East boys basketball team played perhaps its most consistent and unselfish games of the season as it rolled over West Allis Hale, 71-34, Dec. 18 at home.
The Red Raiders improved to 6-2 overall and 3-1 in the Greater Metro Conference and play in the Concordia College Tournament against Onalaska (5-1) Wednesday and Bay Port (5-2) Thursday.
The Red Raiders will face one of the best players in the state, if not the country, in Iowa State recruit 6-foot-4 guard Matt Thomas of Onalaska.
Looking back, Tosa East coach Tim Arndorfer was pleased with his team's performance against Hale.
"We played one of our most consistent games of the year," Arndorfer said. "We got a lot of contributions from a lot of guys. I thought the guys shared the ball on offense and ran our offense with effectiveness.
"Defensively, we were outstanding, forcing turnovers and limiting Hale to one shot," he continued. "I was really impressed with our rebounding effort. It was a nice win heading into the Christmas break."
After scoring 19 points in the first quarter, the Tosa East offense exploded in the second quarter (21-9) to take a 40-22 lead into intermission.
They then outscored Hale, 20-6 in the third quarter, to coast into the final period with a 60-28 lead.
A closer look showed the Red Raiders outscored the Huskies, who snapped their 58-game conference losing streak to Brookfield East in their last game, 41-15, in the second and third quarters.
The Red Raiders, who were 9-for-11 from the free-throw line, had 11 players get on the scoreboard.
Four players finished in double figures, led by Nate Moore with 14 and Ben Mihelich with 12. Kyle Vnuk, who was perfect from the free-throw line (6-for-6), and Christian Tolbert each added 10.
Other scorers were Ben Carpenter and Derrick Hurt with six apiece; Anthony Carroll had five and John Murphy, Devin Ross, Caleb Taylor and Nick Pridgeon each had a basket.
The Red Raiders travel to first-place Brookfield Central (3-0) Jan. 4 for their next Greater Metro Conference game.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team defeats Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Marquette gets revenge with 75-55 victory over Wauwatosa East boys
- Wauwatosa East's Stewart, Green combine for 49 points in win over Brookfield Central
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball team loses road games to Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes finish second at Bob White Swimming Invitational
- Wauwatosa Tosa girls basketball team drops tough decisions to Lancers, Chargers
- Pewaukee whips Wauwatosa wrestlers to take first in conference
- Wauwatosa West finally defeats Tosa East, 60-56
- Wauwatosa wrestlers beat South Milwaukee, take third in Janssen Invite
- Bailey Berlin's free throws give Wauwatosa East win over Tosa West