The Wauwatosa East girls tennis team recently announced its team awards, and walking away with the top honor was Alayah Walls.
Walls was named the Team MVP and Alli Kuhlmann had two honors, earning the Most Wins and Coaches Award. Nina Kortas was named the Most Improved Player.
Walls and Kuhlmann were also named captains along with Mariel Leering and Rachel Ahlf.
Looking back at the season, the Red Raiders were 10-9 in dual meets and had invitational finishes of first (Martin Luther), third (Tosa) and fourth (Cedarburg and Greater Metro Conference).
The Red Raiders will lose four seniors, Walls, Leering, Ahlf and Kuhlmann.
Walls won four varsity letters and was the top singles player. She was 15-8 this year and 51-57 during her career.
Leering also played four years on the varsity and she was No. 2 singles, going 11-15 this year and 52-53 career record.
Ahlf finished her third year on the varsity. She was 11-16 at No. 1 doubles and a career mark of 22-36.
Kuhlmann won two varsity letters and played No. 4 singles this year (20-10).
There is one junior on the team and seven sophomores.
Junior Michelle Brown played No. 1 doubles and had a 12-15 record this season and a 24-38 mark overall.
Kortas tops the sophomores as she finished with a 19-9 season record and a 31-18 career mark, playing third doubles and fourth singles.
Megan Otto compiled a 5-7 record at third doubles, Kelsey Plank went 4-15 at third and fourth doubles and Savannah Purcell went 4-4 at third and fourth doubles.
Jorey Dvorak went 3-23 at second and third doubles, Olivia Licato played second doubles and was 3-19, and Heidi Kuimjian played third and fourth doubles and compiled a 1-7 record.
Two freshmen were on the team: Nina Novic, who went 3-12 at second doubles, and Seble Yigletu, who went 3-2 at third doubles.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield East's Bullen breaks meet long jump record
- East kickers blank Tosa West, 2-0
- Wauwatosa West tennis team beat Ike, goes 3-0 in Tosa Invite
- Wauwatosa West's Schumacher loses pitchers' duel to Ike's Lombardo
- Wauwaatosa East girls win two more key GMC softball games
- Despite key injury, Homestead softball team keeps rolling
- Wauwatosa East kickers beat Hamilton, Homestead
- Wauwatosa golfers finish fourth in first two mini-meets
- Wauwatosa East netters put together 5-0 week
- Annual Tight End Camp set for June 17-18