Trojans show improvement beyond just wins, losses
West girls basketball won back-to-back regional titles for first time in school history
Wauwatosa West first-year girls basketball coach Ron Gavinski is happy with his first season at the helm.
The Trojans finished with a 9-8 record, good enough for third place in the Black Division of the Woodland Conference.
They won their second straight regional championship in the postseason - the first time that has been done in the school's history for the girls team - and they finished with a 13-12 overall record.
"There have only been two other regional titles and it was 50 years ago, so this senior class has won two in a row," Gavinski said. "That's amazing and something they can be proud of. That is a great accomplishment."
When asked how satisfying the season was, Gavinski said, "I'm happy. We won five more games and finished third, up two spots. The kids bought into the program. We had some outstanding senior leadership and Jenna Lahmann and Jenna Engel were a big part of it."
Lahmann, Engel and Nyreesha Williams-Torrence were the only seniors on the team at season's end.
The team banquet was held on March 22 and the all-conference selections were announced.
Junior forward Latasha Harmon was a second-team selection. According to Gavinski, Harmon led the league in field goals, field-goal percentage, offensive rebounding, total rebounds, free throw attempts, free throws made and free throw percentage.
Both Lahmann and Jessica Pike were honorable mention selections and Pike was third in the league in 3-point baskets made. Engel was also a Woodland Scholar-Athlete.
"We made a lot of changes," Gavinski said. "These girls were held accountable. That hasn't happened in the past. That's why I know the kids had a good year.
"This year, this is what I'm proudest about, every kid cared deeply about each other - because we were a team and not a bunch of individuals."
Gavinski will have nine returning letter winners but said he needs to find a point guard.
The Trojans' work will be cut out for them next year, as they will be in a division with Pius XI, New Berlin Eisenhower, New Berlin West, Pewaukee and Greendale.
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa East's Bueckers nabs all-state honors for girls soccer
- Wauwatosa Swordfish swim club results: June 30
- Seventh-inning rally sparks Wauwatosa East over West, 5-4
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball team stays hot
- Baseball: Wauwatosa West baseball snaps skid with wins over Eisenhower
- Baseball: Offense holding back Wauwatosa West baseball team
- SPORTS NOTES JUNE 23
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball wins four conference games
- Former Wauwatosa West star Austin Jones drafted by Chicago Cubs in 26th round
- Lacrosse: Wauwatosa lacrosse has successful season