The Longfellow and Whitman wrestling teams had strong showings at the Milwaukee Area Conference Tournament on Saturday.
Longfellow finished fourth, only 11 points out of second place, the highest finish for one of the Tosa middle schools in several years according to coach Kent Morin.
Whitman, which graduated 10 wrestlers last year, went through a rebuilding year, but finished the year with 25 wrestlers, which sets them up for success next year.
Listed below are the conference finishers for each team, both for the varsity and the JV.
Varsity had two first-place finishers - Zach Miller and Lorry Venturi - and three runner-up wrestlers - Matt Kubicek, Jordan Boettcher and Sam Kratochovil.
Avery Weishoff, Tyler Klossowski and Ryan Britt took third and Colin Bertz and Cody White were fifth.
The JV was led by a first-place performance by Dion Huff. Harrison Hensler finished third and Sam Dess was fourth.
Leading the varsity was Nathan Linden (fourth), Trey Miller and Josh Zembles (fifth) and Jake Plantz (sixth).
The JV was led by second-place finishers by Sam Barta, Cole Acker, Justin Burks and Lawrence Thomas.
Adrain Coppage, Merhawi Ciha, Zewdei Gebremedhim and Stevie McCook took third and Mitchell Benz, Dominic Demore, Noah Grover, Dan Toohill and Jon Gaines were fourth.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Preps Alcove: A look at this year's landscape for Wauwatosa wrestlers
- Girls basketball: Wauwatosa East's complete performance not enough against Spartans
- Girls basketball: Wauwatosa West holds off hard-charging Greenfield team
- Boys swimming: Larson's two wins lead Wauwatosa at Kenosha Bradford swimming invite
- Wrestling: Wauwatosa is 2nd after a string of thriller finishes at the Janssen duals
- Boys basketball: Wauwatosa West locks down Greenfield
- Wauwatosa wrestlers lose a toug one to Whitnall/Greendale
- Sports Wraps: Jan. 22
- Girls basketball: Tosa West emerges from league gauntlet with win
- Boys basketball: Tosa East adds rivalry win to growing resume