The Longfellow and Whitman wrestling teams had strong showings at the Milwaukee Area Conference Tournament on Saturday.
Longfellow finished fourth, only 11 points out of second place, the highest finish for one of the Tosa middle schools in several years according to coach Kent Morin.
Whitman, which graduated 10 wrestlers last year, went through a rebuilding year, but finished the year with 25 wrestlers, which sets them up for success next year.
Listed below are the conference finishers for each team, both for the varsity and the JV.
Varsity had two first-place finishers - Zach Miller and Lorry Venturi - and three runner-up wrestlers - Matt Kubicek, Jordan Boettcher and Sam Kratochovil.
Avery Weishoff, Tyler Klossowski and Ryan Britt took third and Colin Bertz and Cody White were fifth.
The JV was led by a first-place performance by Dion Huff. Harrison Hensler finished third and Sam Dess was fourth.
Leading the varsity was Nathan Linden (fourth), Trey Miller and Josh Zembles (fifth) and Jake Plantz (sixth).
The JV was led by second-place finishers by Sam Barta, Cole Acker, Justin Burks and Lawrence Thomas.
Adrain Coppage, Merhawi Ciha, Zewdei Gebremedhim and Stevie McCook took third and Mitchell Benz, Dominic Demore, Noah Grover, Dan Toohill and Jon Gaines were fourth.
- Baseball: Offense holding back Wauwatosa West baseball team
- SPORTS NOTES JUNE 23
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball wins four conference games
- Former Wauwatosa West star Austin Jones drafted by Chicago Cubs in 26th round
- Lacrosse: Wauwatosa lacrosse has successful season
- New records for Tosa Swim Club
- Baseball: Wauwatosa West baseball team drops four in a row
- Softball: Tosa East's Morgan Schmanski named Team MVP
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball team finishes week with three straight losses
- Sports Notes: June 9