The Longfellow and Whitman wrestling teams had strong showings at the Milwaukee Area Conference Tournament on Saturday.
Longfellow finished fourth, only 11 points out of second place, the highest finish for one of the Tosa middle schools in several years according to coach Kent Morin.
Whitman, which graduated 10 wrestlers last year, went through a rebuilding year, but finished the year with 25 wrestlers, which sets them up for success next year.
Listed below are the conference finishers for each team, both for the varsity and the JV.
Varsity had two first-place finishers - Zach Miller and Lorry Venturi - and three runner-up wrestlers - Matt Kubicek, Jordan Boettcher and Sam Kratochovil.
Avery Weishoff, Tyler Klossowski and Ryan Britt took third and Colin Bertz and Cody White were fifth.
The JV was led by a first-place performance by Dion Huff. Harrison Hensler finished third and Sam Dess was fourth.
Leading the varsity was Nathan Linden (fourth), Trey Miller and Josh Zembles (fifth) and Jake Plantz (sixth).
The JV was led by second-place finishers by Sam Barta, Cole Acker, Justin Burks and Lawrence Thomas.
Adrain Coppage, Merhawi Ciha, Zewdei Gebremedhim and Stevie McCook took third and Mitchell Benz, Dominic Demore, Noah Grover, Dan Toohill and Jon Gaines were fourth.
- Wauwatosa Sports Notes: Players sign with colleges, baseball fundraiser, more
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa West sprinters stand out at Kansas Relays
- Boys Track and field: Wauwatosa West' Hannah-Howell, Jefferson shine at Sun Prairie Track Meet
- Boys Tennis: Wauwatosa West tennis team wins three of four at Raider/Trojan Invite
- Boys Golf: Wauwatosa golfers finish fifth at first GMC mini meet
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa East kickers go 2-1 at Mt. Prospect Invitational, lose to DSHA, beat Homestead
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa West soccer team tied for first in Woodland with 4-0 record
- Football: Matt Kender is Wauwatosa East's new football coach
- Sports Shorts: April 21, 2016
- Girls track and field: Wauwatosa East girls track team has two productive meets