Arike Ogunbowale. Her name is a mouthful, and her game is a handful.
The Divine Savior Holy Angels super sophomore set the agenda when Wauwatosa East fell Friday in a Greater Metro Conference girls basketball game, 60-28. Ogunbowale scored 26 points, and the Red Raiders found themselves facing a 51-16 deficit after three quarters.
"There were no surprises from them; Arike was simply able to defeat just about any plan we had in place that night," coach Rob Hamill said. "There's a reason she's at the level she's at and people are interested in her after her high-school career (to play college ball)."
Despite the setback against the league front-runner, Hamill expressed optimism with some of his younger players, notably juniors Natalie Patton and Aubrey Nigh, as well as sophomore Emily Winter.
"This is the point in the season where we feel they've earned some playing time, and I think they came through with a pretty good effort," Hamill said. "We still got beat by a sizable amount in the second half, but we'll be on the track to improvement."
Katie Salmon led the Red Raiders with 8 points.
A 41-36 loss to Milwaukee Lutheran counted as the greater disappointment of the week. Tosa East led the nonconference foe after the first quarter, 5-0, but couldn't maintain that defensive level all night.
"We played from ahead most of the night, but they made a second-half run," Hamill said. "(Kim Anas) made just about every three she put up, guarded or unguarded. We're still struggling with too many turnovers, and that has to be cleaned up. That will be a major focus for the second half of the season."
Anas led Lutheran with 17 points. Salmon led all scorers with 22.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East boys CC team makes amends, heads back to state
- Girls volleyball: Wauwatosa West spikers fall to Nicolet in regional
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 30, 2014 issue
- Girls golf: Wauwatosa girls golf team anticipates more success with three returnees next year
- Girls volleyball: Wauwatosa West girls volleyball coach resigns
- Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 23
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Wauwatosa West football team eliminated from playoff chase
- Wauwatosa East Sports Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014
- Wauwatosa West Sports Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014