Fourteen year-old Jack Lutz, swimming for the Tosa Swordfish (Wauwatosa Recreation Department's competitive swim team), earned awards in four of the six events he swam in at this past weekend's 13-and-over state meet at the Schroeder Aquatic Center in Brown Deer.
In each of the six events, Lutz finished in the top 20 but only the top 16 earn awards and points for their team.
Lutz was the lone representative for the Tosa Swordfish in the 13 and over meet.
"Jack had a fantastic weekend," coach Jackie Jecha said. "Competing in the maximum number of events allowed in the meet is accomplishment enough, but to place in four of those is an incredible feat and shows what a well-rounded swimmer he is."
Competing in the 13 and 14 year-old boys division, Lutz began the weekend on Friday finishing 19th in the 200-yard freestyle with a personal best time of 1:53.97.
His next event, the 100-yard butterfly, earned him 12th place and a personal best time of 58.41 seconds.
On Saturday, Lutz tied for 15th place in the 50-yard freestyle with yet another personal best time of 24.03 seconds.
On Sunday, Lutz had a 14th-place finish in the 100-yard backstroke in 58.10 seconds and he followed that up by finishing 20th in the 100-yard freestyle with a personal best time of 52.68 seconds.
Lutz saved his best finish for last by placing 6th in the 200-yard individual medley with yet another personal best time of 2:06.36.
"Between preliminary and final heats, Jack swam on 10 separate occasions over the weekend and with the exception of one event, he dropped time from his previous best," Jecha said. "That is the definition of performing in the clutch."
Credit also has to go to his coaches, who prepared Lutz for the state meet shortly after he concluded the high school swimming season.
Lutz, a freshman at Wauwatosa East, had just missed out in competing at the WIAA state swimming meet held in February.
The Swordfish coaches had to maintain a balance of readying Jack for each of his events, without overworking him.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team defeats Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Marquette gets revenge with 75-55 victory over Wauwatosa East boys
- Wauwatosa East's Stewart, Green combine for 49 points in win over Brookfield Central
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball team loses road games to Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes finish second at Bob White Swimming Invitational
- Wauwatosa Tosa girls basketball team drops tough decisions to Lancers, Chargers
- Pewaukee whips Wauwatosa wrestlers to take first in conference
- Wauwatosa West finally defeats Tosa East, 60-56
- Wauwatosa wrestlers beat South Milwaukee, take third in Janssen Invite
- Bailey Berlin's free throws give Wauwatosa East win over Tosa West