After a 60-game winning streak that spanned five seasons, the Madison Mustangs' reign over the Ironman Football League is over.
The Wauwatosa Spartans (11-1) shut out the four-time defending champion Mustangs (11-1) 23-0 in Iron Bowl XVI on Sept. 8 at Hart Park to secure the franchise's first Ironman Football League championship.
Tosa relied on the same core components it used all season: a power running game coupled with an attacking defense. The Spartans ground out 275 yards on offense - 200 on the ground - and controlled the clock all night, getting rushing touchdowns from running backs Bobby Windom and Jaimie Marton, as well as quarterback Tony Henner. The offense also had no turnovers.
"Turnovers killed us the first time we played them this season, but we weren't going to let them derail us this time," said Spartans coach Jordan Kopac. Madison pulled out a last-minute 28-24 win over the Spartans in Middleton during the IFL regular season, thanks in large part to five Spartans turnovers.
The Spartans defense held the Mustangs to just 31 offensive plays and only 129 total yards. They also forced three interceptions, one each by linebackers Kevin Morris and Eric Zilisch and one by cornerback Jordan Cosby.
Tosa must now decide which national postseason tournament to accept an invitation from, with invitations already having come from the Mid-States Tournament and the Midwest Tournament.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Girls basketball: Whitefish Bay girls win regional title for injured Jonas, 31-27
- Girls basketball: Tosa East falls short against Wisco
- Girls basketball: Wauwatosa West upsets Shorewood
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball whips Milwaukee Madison
- West advances with 75-4 win over James Madison
- Bad fourth quarter ends Wauwatosa West boys basketball team's season
- Jr. Raiders set registration dates
- Castaneda earns medal at state wrestling
- Boys basketball: Whitefish Bay finds its tempo, downs Tosa East
- Boys basketball: Messmer rallies to beat Tosa West