The Tosa Swordfish swimmers competed at the Odd Ball Challenge over the weekend at the Schroeder Aquatic Center, participating in a number of unusual events in a meet hosted by the South Eastern Aquatic YMCA.
Races weren't the only strange thing about this meet.
"It seemed like for every athlete we had swimming this weekend, there was another one out sick," said Swordfish coach Jackie Jecha. "Hopefully those that couldn't swim will be able to bounce back quickly and be ready for the next meet in two weeks. They work too hard in practice to miss out on the competition."
Ben Meulemans and Ryan Woods, both 9 years old, had six top-10 finishes in their respective events, and five others earned top-16 placements.
Meulemans finished as high as third (50 butterfly, 50 freestyle, 200 freestyle), and Woods took second in both the 25 butterfly and 25 breaststroke.
Other top finishers were Lily Saab (seventh in 25 freestyle in 8-9-year-old division), Olivia Pelzek (three top-15 finishes in 8-9 division), Cole Pfaltzgraff (two top-15 finishes in 10-11 division), Elizabeth Peura (8th in 200 breaststroke at 11-12 division) and Megan Krummel (14th in 200 breaststroke at 11-12 division).
Others swimming for the Swordfish were Anna Busalacchi, Shea Murphy, Laura Bialozynski, Olivia Lonski, Rebecca Lonski, Ingrid Meulemans, Katherine VanDellen, Nachuan Ge, Abby Gifford, Zoe Hawthorne, Micheala Lonski, Emma Schmidt and Rachel Stuberg.
They compete again Jan. 26 at the Winter Single Age Highpoint Trophy Challenge at Arrowhead High School.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West's inexperience affects season in close losses
- Six Wauwatosa East baseball players earn GMC honors on some level
- Land O'Lakes game brings back good memories
- Jr. Trojans set baseball tryouts for U9-U14 teams
- Wauwatosa West loses pitchers' duel to Pius in regional semifinal
- Where did the summer go?
- Sports Notes: July 23, 2015
- Pewaukee's fast start ends Wauwatosa East baseball team's season
- Wauwatosa West wins 2 of 3 in Woodland Conference Round Robin
- Wauwatosa West baseball team beats Nicolet in season finale