The Tosa Swordfish swimmers competed at the Odd Ball Challenge over the weekend at the Schroeder Aquatic Center, participating in a number of unusual events in a meet hosted by the South Eastern Aquatic YMCA.
Races weren't the only strange thing about this meet.
"It seemed like for every athlete we had swimming this weekend, there was another one out sick," said Swordfish coach Jackie Jecha. "Hopefully those that couldn't swim will be able to bounce back quickly and be ready for the next meet in two weeks. They work too hard in practice to miss out on the competition."
Ben Meulemans and Ryan Woods, both 9 years old, had six top-10 finishes in their respective events, and five others earned top-16 placements.
Meulemans finished as high as third (50 butterfly, 50 freestyle, 200 freestyle), and Woods took second in both the 25 butterfly and 25 breaststroke.
Other top finishers were Lily Saab (seventh in 25 freestyle in 8-9-year-old division), Olivia Pelzek (three top-15 finishes in 8-9 division), Cole Pfaltzgraff (two top-15 finishes in 10-11 division), Elizabeth Peura (8th in 200 breaststroke at 11-12 division) and Megan Krummel (14th in 200 breaststroke at 11-12 division).
Others swimming for the Swordfish were Anna Busalacchi, Shea Murphy, Laura Bialozynski, Olivia Lonski, Rebecca Lonski, Ingrid Meulemans, Katherine VanDellen, Nachuan Ge, Abby Gifford, Zoe Hawthorne, Micheala Lonski, Emma Schmidt and Rachel Stuberg.
They compete again Jan. 26 at the Winter Single Age Highpoint Trophy Challenge at Arrowhead High School.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitefish Bay softball tourney and field a big success
- Trojans win 2 of 3 on the diamond
- Widder earns WIAC Scholar-Athlete Award
- Wauwatosa East boys fifth, girls seventh at GMC Relays
- Wauwatosa East blasts Bulldogs, nips Spartans
- Late goal keeps Homestead girls soccer team in North Shore lead
- Wauwatosa East girls soccer team ties top-ranked DSHA
- Wauwatosa East tennis team second at Beaver Dam Invite
- Wauwatosa West girls almost upset Arrowhead
- Wauwatosa West boys track and field team fourth in Woodland Relays