Iron Bowl XVI, the championship game of the Ironman Football League, will feature two familiar teams when it kicks off at 7 p.m. Sept. 8 at Hart Park.
That's because if you count this season, it's been a matchup between the Wauwatosa Spartans and Madison Mustangs three of the last five years.
The Spartans are 10-1, and earned their spot by winning the American Conference championship last weekend with a win over the Southern Lake Blue Devils 27-6. The Mustangs are 11-0, and took home the National Conference championship after beating the Muskego Hitmen 21-3. Madison has won four straight Iron Bowl championships.
Tosa relies on a power running game spearheaded by running back Jaimie Marton (University of Wisconsin-Whitewater), and an attacking defense led by Eric Zilisch (University of Iowa). Madison also features the run with league-MVP Kyle Brodd (Middleton High School) and a turnover-minded defense led by Zac Gordon (Coe College).
The Spartans only loss of the season came at the hands of the Mustangs in week five, 28-24.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West comes away with two wins in five outings
- Sports Notes: July 2, 2015
- Wauwatosa West outslugs Kettle Moraine in wood bat tourney
- Wauwatosa East loses four more games
- Wauwatosa West splits with Pius on the diamond
- Wauwatosa East's pitching struggles in loss to Lancers
- Schmanski sets Wauwatosa East RBI record
- Wauwatosa West softball players receive all-conference recognition
- 6 Wauwatosa West soccer players earn all-conference recognition
- Baseball: North steals game from league leader West