Iron Bowl XVI, the championship game of the Ironman Football League, will feature two familiar teams when it kicks off at 7 p.m. Sept. 8 at Hart Park.
That's because if you count this season, it's been a matchup between the Wauwatosa Spartans and Madison Mustangs three of the last five years.
The Spartans are 10-1, and earned their spot by winning the American Conference championship last weekend with a win over the Southern Lake Blue Devils 27-6. The Mustangs are 11-0, and took home the National Conference championship after beating the Muskego Hitmen 21-3. Madison has won four straight Iron Bowl championships.
Tosa relies on a power running game spearheaded by running back Jaimie Marton (University of Wisconsin-Whitewater), and an attacking defense led by Eric Zilisch (University of Iowa). Madison also features the run with league-MVP Kyle Brodd (Middleton High School) and a turnover-minded defense led by Zac Gordon (Coe College).
The Spartans only loss of the season came at the hands of the Mustangs in week five, 28-24.
- Baseball: Offense holding back Wauwatosa West baseball team
- SPORTS NOTES JUNE 23
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball wins four conference games
- Former Wauwatosa West star Austin Jones drafted by Chicago Cubs in 26th round
- Lacrosse: Wauwatosa lacrosse has successful season
- New records for Tosa Swim Club
- Baseball: Wauwatosa West baseball team drops four in a row
- Softball: Tosa East's Morgan Schmanski named Team MVP
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball team finishes week with three straight losses
- Sports Notes: June 9