Iron Bowl XVI, the championship game of the Ironman Football League, will feature two familiar teams when it kicks off at 7 p.m. Sept. 8 at Hart Park.
That's because if you count this season, it's been a matchup between the Wauwatosa Spartans and Madison Mustangs three of the last five years.
The Spartans are 10-1, and earned their spot by winning the American Conference championship last weekend with a win over the Southern Lake Blue Devils 27-6. The Mustangs are 11-0, and took home the National Conference championship after beating the Muskego Hitmen 21-3. Madison has won four straight Iron Bowl championships.
Tosa relies on a power running game spearheaded by running back Jaimie Marton (University of Wisconsin-Whitewater), and an attacking defense led by Eric Zilisch (University of Iowa). Madison also features the run with league-MVP Kyle Brodd (Middleton High School) and a turnover-minded defense led by Zac Gordon (Coe College).
The Spartans only loss of the season came at the hands of the Mustangs in week five, 28-24.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa wrestlers had an outstanding season
- Coach pleased with first two outings of Wauwatosa East boys track and field team
- Father follows son down the road to Brown Deer hoops success
- Meredith Starnes, Natalie Yahn to lead Wauwatosa East softball team
- Dale excited about Wauwatosa East girls soccer team
- Wauwatosa West girls soccer fundraiser set for March 27
- Wauwatosa West boys 7th at Wisconsin Lutheran Invite
- Wauwatosa West girls finish 7th at Outfitters Invite
- Wauwatosa East girls post three top-10 finishes at Nelson Daniel invite
- Wauwatosa West boasts young but experienced kickers