Iron Bowl XVI, the championship game of the Ironman Football League, will feature two familiar teams when it kicks off at 7 p.m. Sept. 8 at Hart Park.
That's because if you count this season, it's been a matchup between the Wauwatosa Spartans and Madison Mustangs three of the last five years.
The Spartans are 10-1, and earned their spot by winning the American Conference championship last weekend with a win over the Southern Lake Blue Devils 27-6. The Mustangs are 11-0, and took home the National Conference championship after beating the Muskego Hitmen 21-3. Madison has won four straight Iron Bowl championships.
Tosa relies on a power running game spearheaded by running back Jaimie Marton (University of Wisconsin-Whitewater), and an attacking defense led by Eric Zilisch (University of Iowa). Madison also features the run with league-MVP Kyle Brodd (Middleton High School) and a turnover-minded defense led by Zac Gordon (Coe College).
The Spartans only loss of the season came at the hands of the Mustangs in week five, 28-24.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Boys basketball: Tosa East makes most of final opportunity
- Bailey Berlin's free throw sparks win for Wauwatosa East girls basketball
- Wauwatosa East boys stay undefeated, down Falls
- Wrestlers blank co-op trio, 79-0
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team beats Packers for first win
- Trojan girls basketball team beats Brown Deer, loses to Cudahy
- Wauwatosa wins two events, takes seven seconds, three thirds
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball wins Woodland opener
- Wauwatosa East girls bounce back to beat Eagles, 70-27
- Wauwatosa wrestlers claim Cougar Invitational