Wauwatosa East's outstanding freshman Celia Ripple won two events and earned first-team all-conference at the Greater Metro Conference Swimming and Diving Championships Saturday at West Allis Central.
Ripple took first place in the 200-yard individual medley in 2 minutes, 16.17 seconds and in the 100 breaststroke in 1:07.80.
"It was great time drops for the conference meet," coach Russ Weigl said. "We swam well. I look forward to an exciting sectional meet on Saturday."
Another freshman Elizabeth Tuffnell had the next-best finish, taking sixth in the 500 freestyle (5:57.10).
Also taking sixth was the 200 medley relay behind senior Taylor Ondracek, Ripple, sophomore Maura Haydin and junior Jenny Busalacchi (2:02.68) and the 200 free relay of senior Sami Reimer, Haydin, freshman Erica Kalberer and Tuffnell (1:54.03).
Junior Maggie Van Meter was seventh in 1-meter diving (308.30 points) and the 400 free relay was eighth (4:07.39) behind Busalacchi, Tuffnell, Reimer and Ripple.
Busalacchi was eighth in the 500 free (5:59.24) and 10th in the 200 freestyle (2:14.85).
The 200 'B' free relay of junior Dasha Engelking, freshman Jenna Moerchen, senior Hannah Wallenkamp and sophomore Hannah Bartholf finished ninth (1:59.43) as was the 400 'B' free relay (4:17.81) behind Ondracek, Engelking, Wallenkamp and Kalberer.
Kalberer finished 10th in the 500 free (6:01.44) and the 200 'B' medley of junior Libby Swenson, freshman Caroline Idsvoog, sophomore Grace Teofilo and Moerchen also finished 10th (2:20.47).
Brookfield Central won the event with 550 points to beat Brookfield East (530) for the title. Divine Savior Holy Angels (443), Menomonee Falls/Sussex Hamilton (396), Tosa East (248) and West Allis (88) rounded out the standings.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Boys basketball: Tosa East makes most of final opportunity
- Bailey Berlin's free throw sparks win for Wauwatosa East girls basketball
- Wauwatosa East boys stay undefeated, down Falls
- Wrestlers blank co-op trio, 79-0
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team beats Packers for first win
- Trojan girls basketball team beats Brown Deer, loses to Cudahy
- Wauwatosa wins two events, takes seven seconds, three thirds
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball wins Woodland opener
- Wauwatosa East girls bounce back to beat Eagles, 70-27
- Wauwatosa wrestlers claim Cougar Invitational