The Wauwatosa East girls tennis team dropped a match to Wauwatosa West on Sept. 6, but then bounced back and won an important Greater Metro Conference dual with Menomonee Falls the next day.
Tosa East coach Glen Slonac was very complementary to the Trojans after their 6-1 defeat to open the week.
"We had a tough loss to Tosa West," Slonac said. "I give West a lot of credit for how well they played.
"We had a lot of close matches but couldn't close them out and they played the big points better than us.
"As you can figure out I was very disappointed. I thought both teams are pretty evenly matched based upon our results against common opponents.
"We gave away too many free points.
"We have been able to pull out the close matches all year but in the West match things didn't go our way."
The Red Raiders' only winner against Tosa West was Alli Kuhlmann at No. 4 singles.
"Our doubles teams continue to have problems of not moving enough at the net and not mixing their shots up," Slonac said. "Some of that is due to the lack of doubles experience we have and getting the girls more comfortable at the net."
Slonac felt his team had tough matches at No. 3 singles and all the doubles, feeling either match could have gone either way.
"The 6-1 loss was much closer than the score indicated," he said.
The next day the Red Raiders beat Menomonee Falls, 4-3.
"Again, we had a few matches that were close and didn't pull them out," Slonac said. "I did feel we played better at a couple spots mainly No. 2 singles and No. 2 doubles.
"Nina Kortas won at third singles and continues to play well for us. She has the best team record at 13-4 along with Kuhlmann (also 13-4).
"Alli also continues to win big matches for us."
No. 1 doubles Rachel Ahlf and Michelle Brown won 6-3, 6-2 and played a good second set and were able to close out games which had been a problem, Slonac said.
Second doubles of Olivia Licato and Nina Novic won 6-2, 6-2.
The Red Raiders are currently 9-7 on the year.
- Tom 'Sky' Skibosh
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wrestling: Video: Folley gives Wauwatosa program's first wrestling champion
- Girls basketball: Abbey Jones delivers down stretch for Tosa West
- Wauwatosa's Folley and Reagan advance to state wrestling semis
- Bailey Berlin's 18 points sparks Wauwatosa East girls win
- Trojans crush Whitnall behind Brown, Bartlett, Jr., Carroll
- Wauwatosa's Folley, Reagan, Morrow heading to state
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team crushes Brookfield East to hold second
- Wauwatosa West's Imperiale sees similarities in Wisconsin Lutheran
- Larson leads way for Tosa Hurricanes
- SPORTS WRAPS: Feb. 19