The Wauwatosa East boys volleyball team beat Brookfield Central in a Greater Metro Conference match and Pius XI in a hair-raising nonconference battle last week.
They then finished third in the Whitefish Bay Invitational on Saturday.
Tosa East beat conference foe Brookfield Central, 3-1, on Oct. 3 at home to start the week.
The state-ranked Lancers won the first game (25-16), but the Red Raiders came back and won the final three (25-22, 25-23, 25-19).
The story of the night was starting setter Mitch Wagner going down with a sprained ankle on the fourth rally of the first game. The Red Raiders went to Ben Plaisted, who has set before, and novice setter sophomore Brad Larsen for rest of match.
"It was a big win under those circumstances," assistant coach Jim Plaisted said.
Larson had 16 assists and Plaisted handed out 11 while Ben Mihelich had 17 kills and four aces and Plaisted and John Murphy each had five digs.
Two days later the Red Raiders beat Pius XI in a five-game thriller (18-25, 25-21, 34-36, 25-19, 16-14).
Mihelich had 29 kills and nine digs, Plaisted had 14 kills and 23 kills, Larson had 21 assists, Bobby Jensen had two aces and Mich Dillon had nine block assists.
On Saturday the Red Raiders finished tied for third in the prestigious Whitefish Bay Invitational.
They beat Racine Horlick (12-21, 21-18, 15-11), Middleton (21-12, 21-15) and lost to Shorewood (20-22, 16-21) in pool play. They then beat Pius in the quarterfinals (25-27, 25-23, 15-10), but lost to Catholic Memorial in the semis (25-22, 12-25, 10-15) to finished in a tie for third.
Looking at the stat leaders for the day, Mihelich had 53 kills, 20 digs and three aces and Plaisted put together totals of 25 kills, 55 assists and 6.5 total blocks.
Dillon had 15 kills and 8.5 total blocks and Morgan Griffith added 14 kills and 13 digs, Murphy had 12 digs and Sam Schulz had three aces.
Still playing without starting setter Wagner, Larson came through with 32 assists.
Tosa East improved to 20-5 overall.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Baun wins three events as Brown Deer trackmen third in Woodland
- Wauwatosa East girls soccer team loses heartbreaker to Brookfield East
- Wauwatosa East whips West 11-1 at Helfaer Field
- Wauwatosa West girls win 21st Woodland Championship
- Wauwatosa East returns nine letter winners on the diamond
- Jacksons of Wauwatosa West earn two first-place finishes
- Wauwatosa West's Price wins No. 1 singles championship at Woodland tennis tourney
- Trojans win 2 of 3 on the diamond
- Widder earns WIAC Scholar-Athlete Award
- Wauwatosa East boys fifth, girls seventh at GMC Relays