The Wauwatosa East baseball season started unceremoniously but didn't take long to rebound.
The Red Raiders fell to Milwaukee Pius on May 23, 10-1, with Bryce Kratzer's two hits in three attempts leading the way. But wins over Brookfield Central (4-0) and Milwaukee Marquette (5-1) showed that Tosa East could hold its own with the traditional powers in the Greater Metro Conference.
Ben Carpenter threw seven shutout innings against Central, allowing just three hits with two strikeouts and one walk. He also led off the game with a single, stole second and scored on Jonah Meidl's RBI. Colin Trautschold hit a two-run single in the sixth to pad the lead, bringing in Bobby Russ and Ben Plaisted.
"We came out much more relaxed and loose," coach Brian Karas said. "We played an all-around consistent game with hitting, fielding and pitching."
That carried over into the May 25 win over Marquette. Kratzer threw a complete game, allowing six hits, and Carpenter again reached to lead off the game before scoring on a Meidl hit. Derek Wulff walked with the bases loaded and added an RBI double in the fifth, scoring Jacob Martin. Riley Poe's two-run single down the third base line in the sixth padded the advantage.
Marquette loaded the bases with one out in the seventh, but East got out of the jam with a pair of fly balls.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East's Ripple, West's Larson excel at Early Bird swimming invite
- Wauwatosa East girls cross-country team looking for good things
- Wauwatosa West returnees should help girls cross-country team
- Wauwatosa East tennis team has nine returning players
- Wauwatosa East girls volleyball team looking for big improvement
- Wauwatosa West tennis team wins 3 of 4 at Raider/Trojan Invite
- Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team has holes to fill
- Young Wauwatosa West soccer team will be counting on chemistry
- Wauwatosa girls golf team fourth at first GMC mini-meet
- Potter to lead Wauwatosa East boys cross-country team