The Wauwatosa East baseball season started unceremoniously but didn't take long to rebound.
The Red Raiders fell to Milwaukee Pius on May 23, 10-1, with Bryce Kratzer's two hits in three attempts leading the way. But wins over Brookfield Central (4-0) and Milwaukee Marquette (5-1) showed that Tosa East could hold its own with the traditional powers in the Greater Metro Conference.
Ben Carpenter threw seven shutout innings against Central, allowing just three hits with two strikeouts and one walk. He also led off the game with a single, stole second and scored on Jonah Meidl's RBI. Colin Trautschold hit a two-run single in the sixth to pad the lead, bringing in Bobby Russ and Ben Plaisted.
"We came out much more relaxed and loose," coach Brian Karas said. "We played an all-around consistent game with hitting, fielding and pitching."
That carried over into the May 25 win over Marquette. Kratzer threw a complete game, allowing six hits, and Carpenter again reached to lead off the game before scoring on a Meidl hit. Derek Wulff walked with the bases loaded and added an RBI double in the fifth, scoring Jacob Martin. Riley Poe's two-run single down the third base line in the sixth padded the advantage.
Marquette loaded the bases with one out in the seventh, but East got out of the jam with a pair of fly balls.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team uses big second half to beat Wisconsin Lutheran
- Plenty of positives in Wauwatosa West girls' basketball loss to Kettle Moraine
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team could battle for GMC title
- Wauwatosa West swimming team has bright future with talented underclassmen on the rise
- MacGillis, Barkow share Wauwatosa West boys volleyball MVP honors
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team looks for improvement
- Sports Notes: Nov. 26, 2015
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes return three state qualifiers — Danny Larson, Cal Hartt, Avery Weishoff
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team has plenty of experience returning
- Wauwatosa East's Potter earns two team cross-country awards