Coach has experience, depth to use this year
Red Raiders open season against Racine Park Friday
After only one week of practice with a full team in camp, the Wauwatosa East boys basketball team plays its first game of the year against Racine Park at 7:30 p.m. Friday at home.
Coach Tim Arndorfer had a limited roster in Saturday's scrimmage at Whitefish Bay against the Blue Dukes, Milwaukee Vincent and Milwaukee Pulaski.
"Kyle Vnuk was out of town and we didn't have the volleyball players (Mich Dillon, Ben Mihelich, John Murphy and Bobby Jensen) who were in the state meet," Arndorfer said on Monday. "Today will be our first day with a full team. We have a lot to get done in four days."
Arndorfer said most of the time was spent on learning the offense, but after the scrimmage, he left with a good feeling.
The Red Raiders return seven letter winners - all seniors - from a team that was 16-10 in the Greater Metro Conference, tied for third with Menomonee Falls behind conference champs West Allis Central (12-2) and second-place Brookfield Central (11-3).
They won three games in the postseason before losing to Milwaukee Washington, 50-36, in the sectional semifinals.
Nate Moore, Anthony Carroll (who will miss the first five games), Ben Carpenter and Devin Ross are returning guards, while returning big men are Vnuk, 6-foot-4 inches, Dillon, 6-foot-5, and Mihelich, 6-foot-2.
Arndorfer will look to nine newcomers who could lend a helping hand.
That group includes four seniors - Derrick Hurt, a talented 6-3 inside player, Murphy, Javon Williams and Kenny Wilson and five juniors - Caleb Taylor, Christian Tolbert, Sean Wheeler, Nick Pridgeon, Murphy and Jensen.
"We need these guys (the returnees) to step up while the new guys get acclimated," Arndorfer said. "We got a senior dominated team and quite a bit of depth."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team bounces back for victory
- Wauwatosa East volleyball team wins thriller against Trojans
- Wauwatosa East soccer team ties second-ranked Cedarburg
- Wauwatosa West football team blanks Vikings, earns playoff spot
- Wauwatosa East boys cross country team finished second at the Purgold Invite
- Wauwatosa East boys volleyball team beats Cedarburg
- Wauwatosa West swimmers defeat Greendale
- Wauwatosa East, West girls cross-country teams finish third, fourth at Purgold Invitational
- Wauwatosa West girls tennis finishes second in Woodland Tennis Tournament
- Wauwatosa West kickers split four games