The Wauwatosa East boys volleyball team had to juggle their lineup this week as they lost an exciting dual meet to Wauwatosa West on Sept. 4, beat Nicolet on Sept. 6 and then took part in the Racine Park Invitational on Saturday.
Mitch Wagner rolled his ankle last week and coach John Simon had to adjust his lineup after losing his junior setter, moving Ben Plaisted to setter.
Tosa West won the first two games (25-22, 25-23), but the Red Raiders bounced back and won two games (27-25, 25-19). The Trojans then won the fifth game, 15-12, to win the match.
Ben Mihelich had 16 kills and 11 digs, Morgan Griffin had 15 kills and 10 digs and Plaisted had 11 kills and 35 assists.
At Racine Park the Red Raiders went 6-0 in pool play, beating Waukesha South, Racine Park and Greendale all by 2-0 scores.
They beat Muskego in a crossover match, losing the first game and winning the next two.
They then lost to eventual tournament champion Appleton North in the quarterfinals (21-17, 21-17).
The Red Raiders have also been without Sam Schulz, John Murphy and Mich Dillon, at various times because of injuries.
This year's team has five seniors - Mihelich, Griffin, Dillon, Murphy and Schulz - seven juniors - Plaisted, Wagner, Joe Oleniczak, Carl Behlmer, Ethan Hughes, Bobby Jensen and Trevor Hutson and sophomores - Brad Larson and Adam Christopherson.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Shorts: April 17
- Tosa West kickers beat Falcons, Vikings
- Tosa West girls track and field team dominates in winning Woodland West Division Indoor Championship
- Couri Insurance wins City Basketball Title
- Tosa West girls soccer team goes 1-1-1 in first week of season
- Cavs, Dashers beat Tosa East
- Wauwatosa West boys track wins Case Classic Invitational
- Tosa East boys tennis team returns eight letterwinners
- East kickers blanked Pius, 2-0, for first win
- Ashley Lindstrom named Wauwatosa West girls basketball MVP