The Wauwatosa East boys volleyball team had to juggle their lineup this week as they lost an exciting dual meet to Wauwatosa West on Sept. 4, beat Nicolet on Sept. 6 and then took part in the Racine Park Invitational on Saturday.
Mitch Wagner rolled his ankle last week and coach John Simon had to adjust his lineup after losing his junior setter, moving Ben Plaisted to setter.
Tosa West won the first two games (25-22, 25-23), but the Red Raiders bounced back and won two games (27-25, 25-19). The Trojans then won the fifth game, 15-12, to win the match.
Ben Mihelich had 16 kills and 11 digs, Morgan Griffin had 15 kills and 10 digs and Plaisted had 11 kills and 35 assists.
At Racine Park the Red Raiders went 6-0 in pool play, beating Waukesha South, Racine Park and Greendale all by 2-0 scores.
They beat Muskego in a crossover match, losing the first game and winning the next two.
They then lost to eventual tournament champion Appleton North in the quarterfinals (21-17, 21-17).
The Red Raiders have also been without Sam Schulz, John Murphy and Mich Dillon, at various times because of injuries.
This year's team has five seniors - Mihelich, Griffin, Dillon, Murphy and Schulz - seven juniors - Plaisted, Wagner, Joe Oleniczak, Carl Behlmer, Ethan Hughes, Bobby Jensen and Trevor Hutson and sophomores - Brad Larson and Adam Christopherson.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Central boys beat Red Raiders, 52-41
- Boys basketball: Tosa East makes most of final opportunity
- Bailey Berlin's free throw sparks win for Wauwatosa East girls basketball
- Wauwatosa East boys stay undefeated, down Falls
- Wrestlers blank co-op trio, 79-0
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team beats Packers for first win
- Trojan girls basketball team beats Brown Deer, loses to Cudahy
- Wauwatosa wins two events, takes seven seconds, three thirds
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball wins Woodland opener
- Wauwatosa East girls bounce back to beat Eagles, 70-27