Playing in perhaps the toughest tennis conference in the state, Wauwatosa East had a solid season once again this spring.
The Red Raiders finished fourth in both the Greater Metro Conference dual meet season and the conference tournament, finishing with a 4-3 league mark, and Tracy Johnson and Sam Ingrilli had the team's best conference records (5-2).
Tosa East finished fourth in the sub-sectionals and fifth in the sectionals as Johnson, Michael Sodnik and Kyle Gottwein were sectional qualifiers. Both Johnson and Ingrilli made it to state.
During the regular season, the Red Raiders won the Kenosha Invitational and finished second in the Tosa Invitational and were 5-4 overall in dual meets.
Johnson, Ingrilli and Matt Simpson were team captains, Johnson was the MVP and Sodnik was MIP (Most Improved). Ingrilli won the Coaches Award and Johnson had the Most Wins Award. Player of the Month Awards went to Johnson (April) and Charlie Fahr (May).
Johnson, a fourth-year varsity player, played first singles and was 19-9 this year and 75-25 overall in his career.
Ingrilli, who played second singles and first doubles, is also a four-year varsity player. He was 11-10 this year and 48-33 overall.
Coach Glen Slonac will also lose four other seniors to graduation: Simpson (6-14), Andrew Bourchardt (2-2), Jacob Robarge (2-2) and Jordan Downing (1-4), all first-year varsity players.
Juniors on the team were Gottwein (first doubles, 12-12, 26-23), Sodnik (doubles, 13-11), Simon Kostelanetz (11-4, 18-16) and John Paestch (fourth singles, third doubles, 4-7).
Sophomores were Johnny Vannucci (singles, 10-9, 17-12), Tim O'Brien (doubles, 4-6), Joe Oleniczak (fourth singles, 5-4), Ben Plaisted (second doubles, 5-13) and Jonah Robison (doubles, 2-1). The only freshman on the team was Fahr (third doubles, 12-11).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wrestling: Folley gives Wauwatosa program's first wrestling champion
- Girls basketball: Abbey Jones delivers down stretch for Tosa West
- Wauwatosa's Folley and Reagan advance to state wrestling semis
- Bailey Berlin's 18 points sparks Wauwatosa East girls win
- Trojans crush Whitnall behind Brown, Bartlett, Jr., Carroll
- Wauwatosa's Folley, Reagan, Morrow heading to state
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team crushes Brookfield East to hold second
- Wauwatosa West's Imperiale sees similarities in Wisconsin Lutheran
- Larson leads way for Tosa Hurricanes
- SPORTS WRAPS: Feb. 19