Terry Benter, who will take over an improving Wauwatosa East softball program, brings 21 years of head coaching experience to the table.
Benter, who received a B.S. from the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh and an M.S. from Marquette University, has a career record of 359-241 as a head coach. Benter spent nine years at Joliet St. Francis Academy in Joliet, Ill.; 11 years at Thomas More and two years as an assistant at Tosa East.
He takes over a team that finished 4-18 with a sixth-place finish in the 8-team Greater Metro Conference (4-10).
The Red Raiders have six returning letter winners, led by sophomore infielder Meredith Starnes, who earned honorable mention all-Greater Metro Conference honors as a freshman.
Other returning letter winners are seniors pitcher Mariel Leering and infielder/outfielder Sarah Jolitz and juniors catcher Aubrey Nigh, first baseman Kirsten Miller and centerfielder Margie Van Meter.
Benter is also counting on newcomers, who include sophomore infielder Katie Drakulic, senior outfielder Emily Cain and junior outfielders Natalie Patton and Kathleen O'Connell.
"Our season will depend on staying healthy and the desire to improve," Benter said. "We need to believe in ourselves and our ability to compete with other teams.
"We need to believe that there is always a next pitch and move on … Developing a competitive and winning attitude is important and staying positive is essential."
The Red Raiders' first game is scheduled against Indian Trail and Academy on March 27 in Kenosha.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West baseball coach sees improved pitching and defense ahead
- Wauwatosa East baseball swinging for consistency
- Wauwatosa West softball team edges Tosa East in thriller
- Wauwatosa East Sports Shorts: May 23
- SportsShorts: May 23
- Wauwatosa West girls track and field team wins West Allis Central Regional
- Wauwatosa East's Pridgeon wins both hurdle events at West Allis Central Regional
- Wauwatosa East girls track and field team send a dozen to sectional
- Wauwatosa West boys track and field team sends 15 to sectionals
- Red Raiders girls soccer had red-hot week