Through the first two weeks of the season the Wauwatosa West baseball team has compiled a 3-5 record and a 1-1 mark in the Woodland Conference Black Division going into this week's action.
The Trojans had eight returning players for coach Chad Mateske coming into this year - JJ Belknapp, Jacob Boudreaux, Matt Gillis, Tyler Gross, Travis Hudson, Austin Jones, Mickey Morgan and Ben Zachman.
Newcomers with promise to watch for according to Mateske are Willie Belknapp and Nick Orlowski.
After opening last week with a 8-5 win at Brown Deer, the Trojans dropped a conference game to Whitnall on June 5 and a non-conference game to Pius XI on June 7.
Whitnall used a six-run third inning to coast to a 6-3 victory. West scored a single run in the fourth and two in the sixth to make the game at Breitlow Field respectable.
West only managed three hits off three Falcon pitchers, including winning pitcher Josh Serio, who worked the first five innings.
Two days later, the Trojans dropped a 6-4 decision to the Popes at Breitlow Field.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Imperiale likes Wauwatosa West girls basketball team's balance
- Wauwatosa West swimmers announce team awards
- Wauwatosa West girls had an 'accomplished' year
- Wauwatosa East swimmers honor Ripple, Peura, Tuffnell
- Hamill excited about Wauwatosa East's experience
- Kelnhofer earns All-GMC honors, Team MVP
- Meylor named Wauwatosa West's MVP for tennis
- Boys volleyball: Early momentum doesn't stay with Tosa East
- All you need to know about the state volleyball tournament