Through the first two weeks of the season the Wauwatosa West baseball team has compiled a 3-5 record and a 1-1 mark in the Woodland Conference Black Division going into this week's action.
The Trojans had eight returning players for coach Chad Mateske coming into this year - JJ Belknapp, Jacob Boudreaux, Matt Gillis, Tyler Gross, Travis Hudson, Austin Jones, Mickey Morgan and Ben Zachman.
Newcomers with promise to watch for according to Mateske are Willie Belknapp and Nick Orlowski.
After opening last week with a 8-5 win at Brown Deer, the Trojans dropped a conference game to Whitnall on June 5 and a non-conference game to Pius XI on June 7.
Whitnall used a six-run third inning to coast to a 6-3 victory. West scored a single run in the fourth and two in the sixth to make the game at Breitlow Field respectable.
West only managed three hits off three Falcon pitchers, including winning pitcher Josh Serio, who worked the first five innings.
Two days later, the Trojans dropped a 6-4 decision to the Popes at Breitlow Field.
- Wauwatosa Sports Notes: Players sign with colleges, baseball fundraiser, more
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa West sprinters stand out at Kansas Relays
- Boys Track and field: Wauwatosa West' Hannah-Howell, Jefferson shine at Sun Prairie Track Meet
- Boys Tennis: Wauwatosa West tennis team wins three of four at Raider/Trojan Invite
- Boys Golf: Wauwatosa golfers finish fifth at first GMC mini meet
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa East kickers go 2-1 at Mt. Prospect Invitational, lose to DSHA, beat Homestead
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa West soccer team tied for first in Woodland with 4-0 record
- Football: Matt Kender is Wauwatosa East's new football coach
- Sports Shorts: April 21, 2016
- Girls track and field: Wauwatosa East girls track team has two productive meets