Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Do police officers still distribute baseball cards?
Issue: Our reader wondered if the "tradition" still exists.
"I remember growing up shouting "baseball cards" whenever a police car passed by and often the car would stop and the officer(s) inside would hand out baseball cards to me and my friends. Do they still do that?"
Status: The tradition continues with a twist.
The Brewers discontinued the card program in 2013, but the Packers continue to participate. Those cards are expected to be available late summer or early fall.
Printing depends on a sponsor. Schmidt & Bartelt Funeral Services sponsored in 2013. Each card includes four-color photo of the player with his number, position and a brief bio — and a safety tip.
Cards are printed in entire rosters. Officers distribute a few at a time as a conversation starter, said Wauwatosa Police Lt. Chris Fox. Collectors have an opportunity to meet on a friendly basis with officers to get the entire pack.
"It's a way for us to get in front of the kids in a positive way," Fox said. "It's a popular program. When we get them in the department, you see officers grab a bundle at a time before they go out on patrol."
Laura Laurishke of the Community Support Division said the Packer card program is in its 32nd year and Wauwatosa has been a partner since 1995. The Brewers began their card program in 1983 and the city first participated in 1992.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball coach sees plenty of positives
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team looking to compete in GMC
- Wauwatosa East spikers have happy ending despite rough journey
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team has plenty of talent back
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team rallies in fourth quarter
- Hudson walks away with top Wauwatosa West volleyball honors
- Imperiale likes Wauwatosa West girls basketball team's balance
- Wauwatosa West swimmers announce team awards
- Wauwatosa West girls had an 'accomplished' year
- Wauwatosa East swimmers honor Ripple, Peura, Tuffnell