Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Do police officers still distribute baseball cards?
Issue: Our reader wondered if the "tradition" still exists.
"I remember growing up shouting "baseball cards" whenever a police car passed by and often the car would stop and the officer(s) inside would hand out baseball cards to me and my friends. Do they still do that?"
Status: The tradition continues with a twist.
The Brewers discontinued the card program in 2013, but the Packers continue to participate. Those cards are expected to be available late summer or early fall.
Printing depends on a sponsor. Schmidt & Bartelt Funeral Services sponsored in 2013. Each card includes four-color photo of the player with his number, position and a brief bio — and a safety tip.
Cards are printed in entire rosters. Officers distribute a few at a time as a conversation starter, said Wauwatosa Police Lt. Chris Fox. Collectors have an opportunity to meet on a friendly basis with officers to get the entire pack.
"It's a way for us to get in front of the kids in a positive way," Fox said. "It's a popular program. When we get them in the department, you see officers grab a bundle at a time before they go out on patrol."
Laura Laurishke of the Community Support Division said the Packer card program is in its 32nd year and Wauwatosa has been a partner since 1995. The Brewers began their card program in 1983 and the city first participated in 1992.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Milwaukee School of Engineering AD Dan Harris announces retirement
- Brewers Mini-Marathon and 10K set for Sept. 26
- Wauwatosa West's inexperience affects season in close losses
- Six Wauwatosa East baseball players earn GMC honors on some level
- Land O'Lakes game brings back good memories
- Jr. Trojans set baseball tryouts for U9-U14 teams
- Wauwatosa West loses pitchers' duel to Pius in regional semifinal
- Where did the summer go?
- Sports Notes: July 23, 2015
- Pewaukee's fast start ends Wauwatosa East baseball team's season