Wauwatosa East beat Brookfield East, 6-4, in eight innings and swept this week's two-game series following Monday's 5-3 victory.
For the second time in two days Dan Sayles of Tosa East came in, slammed the door and got the win. With the scored tied at 4-4, Brian Schneider was hit by a pitch by losing pitcher Brian Sylla and Sayles singled to center field.
When the ball got by Brandt Rogers in center, Schneider went to third and Sayles to second. After Sylla struck out Kevin Leon, Matt Wulff scored Schneider on a beautiful suicide squeeze bunt and Ethan Harris singled to center to score Sayles to make the score, 6-4.
After Sylla lead off the inning by being safe on an error, Jake Schaffhauser hit into a double play from shortshop Ben Carpenter to Wulff to Halvorsen to end the game.
Tosa East scored first when Sayles walked to lead off the fourth, was sacrificed to second by Wulff and then scored when he stole third and catcher Andy Wiesen threw the ball into left field. But Wiesen tied the game in the bottom of the inning when his two-out double scored Kevin Sylla.
The Red Raiders then scored three times in the fifth to take a 4-1 lead. Scneider had a two-run single scoring Halvorsen and Carpenter, each who had singled to get on. The Sayles doubled in Schneider.
East got a run back in the bottom of the inning when George Kotsonis, who had two hits, doubled, stole third and scored on Rogers' sacrifice fly to deep left.
The Spartans then tied the game in the sixth when Brian Sylla was safe on an error, Pat O'Brien had a pinch hit single to left and both moved up on a wild pitch. Wiesen then ripped a single to center scoring both runners for his second and third RBIs of the game.
The win improved Tosa East's record to 7-11 in the Greater Metro Conference and 15-15 overall. The loss crushed East's hopes for second place, as the Spartans fell to 10-7, 18-9 overall.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Baun wins three events as Brown Deer trackmen third in Woodland
- Wauwatosa East girls soccer team loses heartbreaker to Brookfield East
- Wauwatosa East whips West 11-1 at Helfaer Field
- Wauwatosa West girls win 21st Woodland Championship
- Wauwatosa East returns nine letter winners on the diamond
- Jacksons of Wauwatosa West earn two first-place finishes
- Wauwatosa West's Price wins No. 1 singles championship at Woodland tennis tourney
- Trojans win 2 of 3 on the diamond
- Widder earns WIAC Scholar-Athlete Award
- Wauwatosa East boys fifth, girls seventh at GMC Relays