Wauwatosa East nipped Wauwatosa West, 5-2, Saturday afternoon in their only regular season meeting in a well-played game on both sides.
Senior Dan Sayles of East outdueled sophomore Tyler Gross of West in a game where both defenses helped them out at times. Sayles allowed six hits and four walks and fanned five. Gross allowed nine hits, walked two (none after the first inning), hit a batter and fanned two.
The Raiders scored twice in the first inning on two-out RBI-singles by Brian Schneider and Kevin Leon. Justin Dobbe's two run single plated two more in the fourth inning for a 4-0 lead.
West's Sean Akin scored from third on a wild pitch from Sayles in the fifth and then the Trojans added a run in the sixth on freshman JJ Belknapp's two-out single.
East added an insurance run when Tyler O'Brien, singled to left, stole second and went to third on a short wild pitch and then scored on a sacrifice fly to center by Ben Carpenter which West's Adam Orlando ran down deep in left center field and made an excellent running catch on.
Sayles allowed a two-out hit to Alex Rehl in the seventh, but retired freshman Mickey Morgan on a drive to left field to end the game.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Notes: April 24
- McLin leads talented young Trojans
- Treatment Trail fundraiser is June 14 to 22
- Trojans netters look to compete
- 3 former West volleyball players win national club championship
- Sports Shorts: April 17
- Tosa West kickers beat Falcons, Vikings
- Tosa West girls track and field team dominates in winning Woodland West Division Indoor Championship
- Couri Insurance wins City Basketball Title
- Tosa West girls soccer team goes 1-1-1 in first week of season