Wauwatosa East nipped Wauwatosa West, 5-2, Saturday afternoon in their only regular season meeting in a well-played game on both sides.
Senior Dan Sayles of East outdueled sophomore Tyler Gross of West in a game where both defenses helped them out at times. Sayles allowed six hits and four walks and fanned five. Gross allowed nine hits, walked two (none after the first inning), hit a batter and fanned two.
The Raiders scored twice in the first inning on two-out RBI-singles by Brian Schneider and Kevin Leon. Justin Dobbe's two run single plated two more in the fourth inning for a 4-0 lead.
West's Sean Akin scored from third on a wild pitch from Sayles in the fifth and then the Trojans added a run in the sixth on freshman JJ Belknapp's two-out single.
East added an insurance run when Tyler O'Brien, singled to left, stole second and went to third on a short wild pitch and then scored on a sacrifice fly to center by Ben Carpenter which West's Adam Orlando ran down deep in left center field and made an excellent running catch on.
Sayles allowed a two-out hit to Alex Rehl in the seventh, but retired freshman Mickey Morgan on a drive to left field to end the game.
- Baseball: Michaelis leads Wauwatosa East past rival West in regional
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers earn overtime win over Muskego
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East's season ends with regional final loss to Waukesha North
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East upsets Menomonee Falls in Greater Metro baseball tournament
- Baseball: Wauwatosa West baseball team drops four of last five games
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball team falls to Marquette in Greater Metro semifinals
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers win first game
- Football: Wauwatosa East's Kelnhofer to play in All-Star Game
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball team finishes Greater Metro regular season at .500
- Softball: Wauwatosa East's Schmanski continues to put her name in softball record books