The top-ranked Brookfield East Spartans edged Woodland Conference co-champion Wauwatosa West, 1-0, in overtime Saturday evening to win the regional title.
East sophomore Taylor Swittel battled for a loose ball on the left side and slid and kicked it free to junior Kathy Luy. Luy then raced toward the goal from about 10 yards out and beat Tosa West goalkeeper Rachel Gerlach for the game-winning goal at the 82:53 mark.
The Spartans will now host the first game of the sectional against fifth-seeded Cedarburg, which upset fourth-seeded Arrowhead, 2-1, at East Saturday afternoon.
The Trojans defense and the goalkeeping of Gerlach, who was outstanding, kept the game scoreless in regulation, as the Spartans had several shots blocked or missed, especially in the first half when they dominated play.
East freshman goalkeeper Erin Wachowiak and the Spartans' defense were also outstanding, as the game was played in a constant downpour.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa wrestlers had an outstanding season
- Coach pleased with first two outings of Wauwatosa East boys track and field team
- Father follows son down the road to Brown Deer hoops success
- Meredith Starnes, Natalie Yahn to lead Wauwatosa East softball team
- Dale excited about Wauwatosa East girls soccer team
- Wauwatosa West girls soccer fundraiser set for March 27
- Wauwatosa West boys 7th at Wisconsin Lutheran Invite
- Wauwatosa West girls finish 7th at Outfitters Invite
- Wauwatosa East girls post three top-10 finishes at Nelson Daniel invite
- Wauwatosa West boasts young but experienced kickers