The top-ranked Brookfield East Spartans edged Woodland Conference co-champion Wauwatosa West, 1-0, in overtime Saturday evening to win the regional title.
East sophomore Taylor Swittel battled for a loose ball on the left side and slid and kicked it free to junior Kathy Luy. Luy then raced toward the goal from about 10 yards out and beat Tosa West goalkeeper Rachel Gerlach for the game-winning goal at the 82:53 mark.
The Spartans will now host the first game of the sectional against fifth-seeded Cedarburg, which upset fourth-seeded Arrowhead, 2-1, at East Saturday afternoon.
The Trojans defense and the goalkeeping of Gerlach, who was outstanding, kept the game scoreless in regulation, as the Spartans had several shots blocked or missed, especially in the first half when they dominated play.
East freshman goalkeeper Erin Wachowiak and the Spartans' defense were also outstanding, as the game was played in a constant downpour.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Two doubles teams win twice at state
- Football: Tosa East falls to Hamilton in finale
- Football: Greenfield secures playoff spot, edges Tosa West
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Wauwatosa West girls second in Arrowhead Invite
- Wauwatosa East Sports Wrapups: Oct. 16, 2014
- Sports Notes: Oct. 16
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 16, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa East soccer team ends season with winless week
- Wauwatosa East volleyball team has tough week