Amy Matzen's walk-off single in the bottom of the seventh gave Wauwatosa West a thrilling 9-8 win over Wauwatosa East at Whitman Field Tuesday night in the WIAA Regional opener.
With the scored tied at 8-8, Michele O'Rourke, the winning pitcher, was safe on the third baseman's error. Tosa East's Ann Michna then fanned the next hitter, but Cara Gaines singled to center moving pinch-runner Martha Schuster to second.
Matzen, a righthanded batter, then hit a ground ball down the first base line and into rightfield. Schuster was waved home and beat the throw to the plate.
Michna's RBI single gave East a 1-0 lead in the first, but West answered on a two-run homer by Sam Himmelspach to right center and Alison Coppersmith later scored on an error by the left fielder.
East tied the game at 3-3 in the second on RBI singles by Sarah Nilsen and Carley Murphy. The Red Raiders then added three runs for a 6-3 lead in the third on a two-run single by Brittany Gottschalk and an RBI single by Nilsen.
But the Trojans came back to tie the game at 6-6 in the bottom of the third, as the Red Raiders' defense came apart and two runs scored on an error and a third on a passed ball.
Gottschalk then smashed a two-run homer in the fifth for an 8-6 lead for East before West tied it in the bottom of the sixth on a triple by Matzen, an RBI single by Katy Schmutzer, who moved to third on a SB and a passed ball and a single by Himmelspach scoring Schmutzer and setting up the final inning heroics.
The Trojans will now face the sectional's top seeded team - Homestead (18-3) at Homestead at 4:15 p.m. on Thursday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Denny, Markwardt lead Tosa East past Trojans, 6-2
- Wauwatosa West comes away with two wins in five outings
- Sports Notes: July 2, 2015
- Wauwatosa West outslugs Kettle Moraine in wood bat tourney
- Wauwatosa East loses four more games
- Wauwatosa West splits with Pius on the diamond
- Wauwatosa East's pitching struggles in loss to Lancers
- Schmanski sets Wauwatosa East RBI record
- Wauwatosa West softball players receive all-conference recognition
- 6 Wauwatosa West soccer players earn all-conference recognition