Amy Matzen's walk-off single in the bottom of the seventh gave Wauwatosa West a thrilling 9-8 win over Wauwatosa East at Whitman Field Tuesday night in the WIAA Regional opener.
With the scored tied at 8-8, Michele O'Rourke, the winning pitcher, was safe on the third baseman's error. Tosa East's Ann Michna then fanned the next hitter, but Cara Gaines singled to center moving pinch-runner Martha Schuster to second.
Matzen, a righthanded batter, then hit a ground ball down the first base line and into rightfield. Schuster was waved home and beat the throw to the plate.
Michna's RBI single gave East a 1-0 lead in the first, but West answered on a two-run homer by Sam Himmelspach to right center and Alison Coppersmith later scored on an error by the left fielder.
East tied the game at 3-3 in the second on RBI singles by Sarah Nilsen and Carley Murphy. The Red Raiders then added three runs for a 6-3 lead in the third on a two-run single by Brittany Gottschalk and an RBI single by Nilsen.
But the Trojans came back to tie the game at 6-6 in the bottom of the third, as the Red Raiders' defense came apart and two runs scored on an error and a third on a passed ball.
Gottschalk then smashed a two-run homer in the fifth for an 8-6 lead for East before West tied it in the bottom of the sixth on a triple by Matzen, an RBI single by Katy Schmutzer, who moved to third on a SB and a passed ball and a single by Himmelspach scoring Schmutzer and setting up the final inning heroics.
The Trojans will now face the sectional's top seeded team - Homestead (18-3) at Homestead at 4:15 p.m. on Thursday.
- Wauwatosa Sports Notes: Players sign with colleges, baseball fundraiser, more
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa West sprinters stand out at Kansas Relays
- Boys Track and field: Wauwatosa West' Hannah-Howell, Jefferson shine at Sun Prairie Track Meet
- Boys Tennis: Wauwatosa West tennis team wins three of four at Raider/Trojan Invite
- Boys Golf: Wauwatosa golfers finish fifth at first GMC mini meet
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa East kickers go 2-1 at Mt. Prospect Invitational, lose to DSHA, beat Homestead
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa West soccer team tied for first in Woodland with 4-0 record
- Football: Matt Kender is Wauwatosa East's new football coach
- Sports Shorts: April 21, 2016
- Girls track and field: Wauwatosa East girls track team has two productive meets