The Wauwatosa East seventh-grade boys basketball team won the Large Community title in the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship Tournament in La Crosse on March 27 and 28.
The Wauwatosa East team is coached by Jim Cupertino, Tom Hayden and Mike Sylvester. Andre Carroll, Jalen Fisher and Diamond Stone of Wauwatosa East were named to the All-Tournament team for the Large Division group.
State champions were crowned in three divisions - large, medium and small communities - based on the enrollment of the high school into which each team feeds.
Tosa East went unbeaten in seven games. The Red Raiders beat Bay Port (56-38) and Waunakee (52-27) in pool play; Muskego (44-21) in the round of 32 and Appleton West (51-20) in the round of 16.
Tosa East then beat Oak Creek (54-45) in the first-eighth place quarterfinals and Kimberly (61-42) in the first-fourth place semifinals. They then rolled over De Pere (58-37) to win the Large Division Championship.
In the other two divisions, Waupun defeated West De Pere 47-46 to win the Medium Division Championship and Poynette defeated Laconia 53-46 to win the Small Division Championship.
This tournament, which was organized by The Great Northwest Basketball League, brought together 87 of the top community-based seventh-grade boys basketball teams the state.
It is organized by size of communities, much like the WIAA state high school tournaments, so that top teams can compete on a level playing field with other programs their size.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tosa West's Purifoy, big plays spark 35-15 win
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29
- Wauwatosa East hammers Homestead, 7-1
- Trojan kickers toss shutout in opener
- Wauwatosa West wins four of five at Tosa Invite
- Wauwatosa West, East place sixth, seventh in Early Bird invite
- Ironman Wisconsin set for Sept. 7 in Madison
- Football: Trojans rule the city another year
- The social media story of Wauwatosa West at Wauwatosa East football