The Wauwatosa East seventh-grade boys basketball team won the Large Community title in the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship Tournament in La Crosse on March 27 and 28.
The Wauwatosa East team is coached by Jim Cupertino, Tom Hayden and Mike Sylvester. Andre Carroll, Jalen Fisher and Diamond Stone of Wauwatosa East were named to the All-Tournament team for the Large Division group.
State champions were crowned in three divisions - large, medium and small communities - based on the enrollment of the high school into which each team feeds.
Tosa East went unbeaten in seven games. The Red Raiders beat Bay Port (56-38) and Waunakee (52-27) in pool play; Muskego (44-21) in the round of 32 and Appleton West (51-20) in the round of 16.
Tosa East then beat Oak Creek (54-45) in the first-eighth place quarterfinals and Kimberly (61-42) in the first-fourth place semifinals. They then rolled over De Pere (58-37) to win the Large Division Championship.
In the other two divisions, Waupun defeated West De Pere 47-46 to win the Medium Division Championship and Poynette defeated Laconia 53-46 to win the Small Division Championship.
This tournament, which was organized by The Great Northwest Basketball League, brought together 87 of the top community-based seventh-grade boys basketball teams the state.
It is organized by size of communities, much like the WIAA state high school tournaments, so that top teams can compete on a level playing field with other programs their size.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team defeats Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Marquette gets revenge with 75-55 victory over Wauwatosa East boys
- Wauwatosa East's Stewart, Green combine for 49 points in win over Brookfield Central
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball team loses road games to Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes finish second at Bob White Swimming Invitational
- Wauwatosa Tosa girls basketball team drops tough decisions to Lancers, Chargers
- Pewaukee whips Wauwatosa wrestlers to take first in conference
- Wauwatosa West finally defeats Tosa East, 60-56
- Wauwatosa wrestlers beat South Milwaukee, take third in Janssen Invite
- Bailey Berlin's free throws give Wauwatosa East win over Tosa West