The Wauwatosa East seventh-grade boys basketball team won the Large Community title in the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship Tournament in La Crosse on March 27 and 28.
The Wauwatosa East team is coached by Jim Cupertino, Tom Hayden and Mike Sylvester. Andre Carroll, Jalen Fisher and Diamond Stone of Wauwatosa East were named to the All-Tournament team for the Large Division group.
State champions were crowned in three divisions - large, medium and small communities - based on the enrollment of the high school into which each team feeds.
Tosa East went unbeaten in seven games. The Red Raiders beat Bay Port (56-38) and Waunakee (52-27) in pool play; Muskego (44-21) in the round of 32 and Appleton West (51-20) in the round of 16.
Tosa East then beat Oak Creek (54-45) in the first-eighth place quarterfinals and Kimberly (61-42) in the first-fourth place semifinals. They then rolled over De Pere (58-37) to win the Large Division Championship.
In the other two divisions, Waupun defeated West De Pere 47-46 to win the Medium Division Championship and Poynette defeated Laconia 53-46 to win the Small Division Championship.
This tournament, which was organized by The Great Northwest Basketball League, brought together 87 of the top community-based seventh-grade boys basketball teams the state.
It is organized by size of communities, much like the WIAA state high school tournaments, so that top teams can compete on a level playing field with other programs their size.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Sept. 3, 2015
- Despite loss, Wauwatosa East's defense continues to shine
- Wauwatosa West football team beats Grafton to start season 2-0 once again
- Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team takes second at Early Bird tournament
- Wauwatosa West boys soccer team goes 1-1-1 at Muskego Quad
- Wauwatosa West girls tennis team nips Vikings
- Wauwatosa East boys soccer team get off to 2-0 start
- Wauwatosa East boys cross-country team has good week
- Wauwatosa East's Ripple, West's Larson excel at Early Bird swimming invite
- Wauwatosa East girls cross-country team looking for good things