Phil O'Connor put in a rebound shot with 2.5 seconds left and Marquette beat Wauwatosa East, 53-51, at East Tuesday night.
With the score tied at 51-51 Quinten Calloway badly missed a jump shot from the left elbow and the game looked like it was heading to overtime. But Tosa East failed to block out O'Connor, who easily grabbed the rebound and banked in the game winner.
After a timeout, the Red Raiders inbounded the ball and Darrell Bowie threw it the length of the court. The ball hit the back of the rim bounced up and hit the extensions above the basket - which are out of play - and then fell through. The officials immediately signaled no basket and the game was over.
This was a game that the Red Raiders could have won, as they led 18-14 after one quarter, 30-29 at intermission and 45-40 going into the final period. But the Hilltoppers more than doubled the score (13-6) in the fourth period and got the win.
John Kopriva led MUHS with 19 points and Mark Haas added 16, including six in the final quarter. Dan Sayles had 16 points, while Bowie added 10 and Vince Cupertino and Jake Larson added nine apiece.
Tosa East dropped to 4-6 in the Greater Metro Conference and 7-11 overall, while Marquette improved to 8-2 and 10-6. The Hilltoppers won the first game, 42-41.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team wins Shorewood Invite
- Wauwatosa East boys go 3-1 at Racine Park invite
- Mystery Photo Contest: Sept. 18
- Sport Shorts: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa West netters win two conference matches
- Wauwatosa East's Potter takes second at Rocket Invite
- Wauwatosa West swimmers whip Greendale
- Wauwatosa East drops key GMC match to Lancers
- Wauwatosa East girls finish 7th at Rocket Invitational
- Football: Tosa East has enough to ward off Bulldogs