Wauwatosa East used a huge second quarter to pull away from Brookfield Central, but then the Lancers battled back, only to lose, 53-48.
Central led 14-9 after one quarter, as Alex Olson scored seven of his nine points to spark the Lancers. But the Red Raiders came out and outscored Central, 18-4, behind Dan Sayles' eight points and five points each from Jake Larson and Darrell Bowie. The Red Raiders held Central to one basket at the 7:21 mark and the Lancers didn't score after Seith Mortag sank two free throws with 6:23 left in the half.
Central's leading scorer, Alex Diciauala, who only scored two points in the first half, then scored eight of Central's 12 third-quarter points. Sayles with five and Aaron Uden added four points as Tosa also scored 12 points in the period.
When Mortag scored on an inbounds play with 45.3 seconds left, Central cut the lead to 49-47. But Bowie hit two free throws and Sayles hit two, while Central only go one free throw from Nick Hubbard the rest of the way.
Diciaula scored 16 points and Mortag 10 for Central, while Sayles added 18 and Bowie 11 to top Tosa East. Bowie didn't start for the Red Raiders because of a coach's decision.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Baun wins three events as Brown Deer trackmen third in Woodland
- Wauwatosa East girls soccer team loses heartbreaker to Brookfield East
- Wauwatosa East whips West 11-1 at Helfaer Field
- Wauwatosa West girls win 21st Woodland Championship
- Wauwatosa East returns nine letter winners on the diamond
- Jacksons of Wauwatosa West earn two first-place finishes
- Wauwatosa West's Price wins No. 1 singles championship at Woodland tennis tourney
- Trojans win 2 of 3 on the diamond
- Widder earns WIAC Scholar-Athlete Award
- Wauwatosa East boys fifth, girls seventh at GMC Relays