Seniors Ray Sterling and Sam Krenzien got Wauwatosa West into the fourth quarter with a lead and then freshman Anthony Carroll help put away Whitnall as the Trojans came away with an impressive 64-55 win Friday night in Wauwatosa.
The victory helped the Trojans (8-3, 10-5) take over second place from the Falcons (7-4, 8-5) behind New Berlin Eisenhower (10-0) not counting tonight's game at St. Francis.
The Trojans came out firing, as Krenzien scored 10 points in the first quarter to spark an 18-9 advantage. But the Falcons behind 11 points from Will Pelkofer went on a 13-3 run to spark 19-7 second quarter advantage, taking a 28-25 lead into intermission.
Assistant coach Chad Stelse, taking over for coach Mike Landisch, who has been out with a kidney problem, reminded the Trojans about how much they dominated that first period.
The Trojans came out pressing the Falcons and went on a 16-7 third-quarter run behind Sterling (6 points), Krenzien (4) and Kieviante Love (4) to go into the final period with a 41-35 lead.
Tosa West outscored the Falcons, 23-20, in a high-scoring fourth period, as Carroll scored all 13 of his points in the fourth period.
Pelkofer scored a game-high 23 points, but he was the only Whitnall player in double figures. Sterling, playing perhaps his best game of the year, added 18 to lead the Trojans, who also had excellent floor games from Jarvis Ashley (6 points) and AJ Krause.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Wraps: volleyball; cross country; soccer; golf
- Greendale turns to run to beat Wauwatosa West Trojans
- Wauwatosa East's offense has best outing of year
- Wauwatosa West tennis team wins second straight Woodland title
- Wauwatosa West swimmers finish fourth at Woodland
- Wauwatosa East kickers have perfect week
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Wauwatosa West football team runs to 31-10 win over Eisenhower
- Wauwatosa East girls cross country team second at Angel Invite
- Wauwatosa West netters win third division title in 4 years