The Wauwatosa West girls, trying to contend in the Woodland Conference Black Division, took a big step backwards Thursday night, dropping a 35-33 decision at Whitnall.
The Trojans dropped to 7-4, while the struggling Falcons improved to 5-6 in conference play. Tosa West missed five uncontested lay-ups during the game, hit only 7-of-24 free throws and struggled running their offense against Whitnall's various zones.
Amy Ford and Lisa Donaldson led all scorers wth nine points each for Whitnall. Jessica Allemang and Jenna Engel led Tosa West with eight points each.
Tosa West led 14-7 after the first quarter and then in ugly second period where both teams couldn't find the basket, the Falcons won a 5-1 battle to cut the lead to 15-12 at intermission.
With the Trojans leading 22-16 with 5:23 left in the third period, the Falcons went on a 10-0 run to take a 26-22 lead with 1:38 left in the quarter. Donaldson sparked the rally with six of her points.
Later Jackie Glaser stole a ball and passed to Engel for a basket with 4:40 left in the game. Engel was fouled and she sank the free throw and West had it's final lead of the night at 31-30.
Elena Busalacchi sank 1-fo-2 free throws to tie the game, then Alyssa Moffatt sank two free throws for a 33-31 lead. Allamang then missed two free throws and Katherine Crivello sank 1-of-2 free throws for a 34-31 lead.
After West missed a shot, coach Mike Pietrowiak called to his players to foul a Falcons' player and one of the Trojans literally decked a Falcon player leading to an intentional foul with 11.2 seconds left.
Donaldson sank 1-of-2 free throws and Whitnall kept the ball but turned it over and Ashley Ballinger hit a shot with 1.4 left to play, but it was too late for West.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Wauwatosa West football team runs to 31-10 win over Eisenhower
- Wauwatosa East girls cross country team second at Angel Invite
- Wauwatosa West netters win third division title in 4 years
- Wauwatosa golfers take third in final GMC mini-meet
- Wauwtosa West girls volleyball team loses to Arrowhead in own title match
- Wauwatosa West boys volleyball team begins season 1-2
- Wauwatosa West boosters to host charity basketball game featuring former Packers
- Wauwatosa East kickers lose to MUHS, go 2-0 at Ashwaubenon quad
- Wauwatosa East boy spikers third in own invitational