Wauwatosa East continued its mastery over crosstown rival Wauwatosa West Saturday night, winning a 76-72 thriller before 1,600 fans in a packed house.
For the second game in a row, Tosa East 6-foot-6-inch sophomore center Darrell Bowie had a monster game, scoring 33 points and grabbing 22 rebounds, including 15 fourth-period points as the Red Raiders held off a Trojan rally. Senior guard Dan Sayles added 23 points for Tosa East.
But Tosa West had an outstanding one-two punch as well, as freshman sensation Anthony (AC) Carroll scored 24 points and senior guard Sam Krenzien added 23.
The Red Raiders used a 15-8 second period to lead 30-22 at intermission, but the Trojans rallied with a 22-18 third period to cut the lead to 48-44 going into the final period. The fourth period was an offense shootout as each team raced up and down the court to a 28-28 tie.
East led 74-72 when Bowie added two free throws with 2.7 second on the clock, as he scored East's last five points of the game from the free throw line.
West has lost 16 straight games to the Raiders, last winning in the 1995-96 season in the first of two meetings between the teams.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tosa West rushes to 31-10 win over Eisenhower
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 19
- Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team wins Shorewood Invite
- Wauwatosa East boys go 3-1 at Racine Park invite
- Mystery Photo Contest: Sept. 18
- Sport Shorts: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa West netters win two conference matches
- Wauwatosa East's Potter takes second at Rocket Invite
- Wauwatosa West swimmers whip Greendale
- Wauwatosa East drops key GMC match to Lancers