Wauwatosa East's Dan Sayles' 3-point basket on the buzzer upset Milwaukee Washington, 57-56, in the 2009 Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook Shootout at the Al McGuire Center Monday night, snapping a 6-game losing streak for the Red Raiders.
Washington junior Quevyn Winters' two free throws with 4.2 seconds left had just given the Purgolders a 56-54 lead. The Red Raiders got the ball into Sayles, a sharp-shooting senior forward who leads the team in scoring.
Sayles dribbled through a double team and past two more Purgolders before shooting a buzzer-beating 3-pointer from the wing for the win.
Tosa East, a young and inexperienced team, improved to 3-7 with the win, while Washington, the third-ranked team in the area, fell to 5-2. What made the upset even more unlikely was the fact that an average Pius XI team clobbered Tosa East Sunday night by 18 in the first day of the tourney.
After shooting 28% against the Popes, the Red Raiders came back and shot 60% (12-of-20) in the second half and hit 7-of-14 3-pointers against Washington, an excellent defensive team.
Sayles finished with 20 points, which included 4-of-8 from 3-point range. Sophomore forward Darrell Bowie helped out Sayles with 14 points and eight rebounds, while senior guard Matt Patton had 13 points and five assists.
The Red Raiders are now off until Jan. 5 when they host West Allis Central in Greater Metro Conference play.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball team better than their 10-14 record
- Wauwatosa West's Purifoy, Jackson earn firsts at Wilson invite track meet
- West's Jones earns Now All-Suburban mention
- Wauwatosa West softball team opens with 1-1 record
- Despite winless start, Wauwatosa East softball team improves
- Kelnhofer, Potter earn firsts for Wauwatosa East at Bay Triangular
- Wauwatosa West girls win 6 events at Wilson Invite
- Wauwatosa East girls post four wins at Bay triangular
- Wauwatosa wrestlers had an outstanding season
- Coach pleased with first two outings of Wauwatosa East boys track and field team