Wauwatosa East's Dan Sayles' 3-point basket on the buzzer upset Milwaukee Washington, 57-56, in the 2009 Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook Shootout at the Al McGuire Center Monday night, snapping a 6-game losing streak for the Red Raiders.
Washington junior Quevyn Winters' two free throws with 4.2 seconds left had just given the Purgolders a 56-54 lead. The Red Raiders got the ball into Sayles, a sharp-shooting senior forward who leads the team in scoring.
Sayles dribbled through a double team and past two more Purgolders before shooting a buzzer-beating 3-pointer from the wing for the win.
Tosa East, a young and inexperienced team, improved to 3-7 with the win, while Washington, the third-ranked team in the area, fell to 5-2. What made the upset even more unlikely was the fact that an average Pius XI team clobbered Tosa East Sunday night by 18 in the first day of the tourney.
After shooting 28% against the Popes, the Red Raiders came back and shot 60% (12-of-20) in the second half and hit 7-of-14 3-pointers against Washington, an excellent defensive team.
Sayles finished with 20 points, which included 4-of-8 from 3-point range. Sophomore forward Darrell Bowie helped out Sayles with 14 points and eight rebounds, while senior guard Matt Patton had 13 points and five assists.
The Red Raiders are now off until Jan. 5 when they host West Allis Central in Greater Metro Conference play.
- Wauwatosa lacrosse team beats eighth-ranked Catholic Memorial
- Boys Track and Field: Wauwatosa West boys finish fourth at Woodland Relays
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa West girls soccer team wins Woodland Conference championship
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa East soccer team splits two games, loses Lily Brock to injury
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa East girls finish seventh at GMC Outdoor Track and Field Meet
- Boys Track and Field: Wauwatosa East boys fourth at GMC Outdoor Track and Field Meet
- Wauwatosa Sports Notes: May 26, 2016
- Semipro football: Milwaukee County Chargers defeat Bulldogs in exhibition opener, 20-6
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa West girls track team runs away with Woodland Outdoor title
- Wauwatosa's Folley takes first in Greco-Roman Tourney