Wauwatosa East's Dan Sayles' 3-point basket on the buzzer upset Milwaukee Washington, 57-56, in the 2009 Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook Shootout at the Al McGuire Center Monday night, snapping a 6-game losing streak for the Red Raiders.
Washington junior Quevyn Winters' two free throws with 4.2 seconds left had just given the Purgolders a 56-54 lead. The Red Raiders got the ball into Sayles, a sharp-shooting senior forward who leads the team in scoring.
Sayles dribbled through a double team and past two more Purgolders before shooting a buzzer-beating 3-pointer from the wing for the win.
Tosa East, a young and inexperienced team, improved to 3-7 with the win, while Washington, the third-ranked team in the area, fell to 5-2. What made the upset even more unlikely was the fact that an average Pius XI team clobbered Tosa East Sunday night by 18 in the first day of the tourney.
After shooting 28% against the Popes, the Red Raiders came back and shot 60% (12-of-20) in the second half and hit 7-of-14 3-pointers against Washington, an excellent defensive team.
Sayles finished with 20 points, which included 4-of-8 from 3-point range. Sophomore forward Darrell Bowie helped out Sayles with 14 points and eight rebounds, while senior guard Matt Patton had 13 points and five assists.
The Red Raiders are now off until Jan. 5 when they host West Allis Central in Greater Metro Conference play.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Girls basketball: Whitefish Bay girls win regional title for injured Jonas, 31-27
- Girls basketball: Tosa East falls short against Wisco
- Girls basketball: Wauwatosa West upsets Shorewood
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball whips Milwaukee Madison
- West advances with 75-4 win over James Madison
- Bad fourth quarter ends Wauwatosa West boys basketball team's season
- Jr. Raiders set registration dates
- Castaneda earns medal at state wrestling
- Boys basketball: Whitefish Bay finds its tempo, downs Tosa East
- Boys basketball: Messmer rallies to beat Tosa West