The top-ranked Marquette Hilltoppers swept away Wauwatosa East in the quarter-finals of the State Boys Volleyball Tournament tonight at Wisconsin Lutheran College.
The Hilltoppers were flawless in the first game, outscoring the Red Raiders, 10-2, at one point to run away with an easy 25-8 victory.
Tosa East played much better in the second two games, but still lost, 25-21, and 25-19. In game two, the Red Raiders led as late as 20-19, before MUHS outscored them, 6-1, for the win. In Game three, Tosa East led 15-13, before the Hilltoppers went on a 12-4 run for the win.
Tosa resident Trevor Metz and Matt Machi led MUHS with 10 kills, while Zak Sylvester had 7 and Kyle O'Connell had 6. Peter Heinen, another Tosa resident, had 31 assists, and Tosa East's Ryan Hoffland was all over the floor, getting 20 assists for the Red Raiders.
Mike Schneck had 10 digs for MUHS and Machi had 6, while senior Matty Patton led the Red Raiders with 3. Steven Berg of Tosa had 3 blocked shots for the Hilltoppers.
Marquette (27-2) will now fact New Berlin Eisenhower/West (24-4) at noon at WLC on Saturday. Tosa East finishes with a 21-12 record.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team wins Shorewood Invite
- Wauwatosa East boys go 3-1 at Racine Park invite
- Mystery Photo Contest: Sept. 18
- Sport Shorts: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa West netters win two conference matches
- Wauwatosa East's Potter takes second at Rocket Invite
- Wauwatosa West swimmers whip Greendale
- Wauwatosa East drops key GMC match to Lancers
- Wauwatosa East girls finish 7th at Rocket Invitational
- Football: Tosa East has enough to ward off Bulldogs